Why do firefighter/paramedics make so much money in California?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The highest paid firemedics in the NOVA region earn about that with overtime and medic incentive pay. And for our family, we couldn't live in that area on that income. My hubby commutes almost 2 hours for the NOVA income on the Central VA cost of living, and we live a comfortable life with a lot of children and I only work part time (and that mostly cause I want to, not cause we're dying for my piddly income).

Those high cost of living areas, I can see it...it's tough to make ends meet on a "reasonable" salary when average rent for a 3/4 BR place is $2.5K.

True. I don't have a lot of time on the job, but I've already earned over 52k gross over 10 pay periods out of 26 with a fair amount of OT. My base with all incentives is around 80k by my best estimates. My wife doesn't need to work, although she's welcome to if it would make her happy.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I understand cost of living, but getting paid over 100,000 a year in my opinion is a little much. 90% of a fire dept. call volume are medical aids. So why are the private medics getting the crap end of the paycheck. They live in the same area, but start their salary around 13 to 14 dollars an hour. And yes they are are firefighters too, but when you look at what they do that 90% of the time it doesnt add up.

The firemedics are being paid to maintain proficiency and a constant state of readiness for both EMS and suppression. It wouldn't be fair to suggest that the rural single role medic in an area of low call volume be paid welfare wages. Their job is important, even if they are used infrequently. The same goes for suppression personnel.

Understand that the privates have a transient workforce my nature. Relatively few choose to go their whole career working private EMS. It's predominately a stepping stone job for those working on degrees or waiting for a public safety job offer, be it police, fire, or some federal job perhaps. The private employer isn't going to pay them generously, since the turnover is abundant. They're not going to pay any more than they have to in order to keep their staffing at par.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Why do firefighter/paramedics make so much money in California?

because they have good unions, strong lobbyists, and a high public sympathy factor. [/endthread]

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Benadip4all missed only one:

Civil Service Commission. They might not get you money, but they keep personnel practices and turnover (read that "firing guys and gals") reasonable. Mostly.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It's not that FF/Ps are paid too much, it's that single role medics are paid too little.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Jeeze. I could rent a pretty nice house for that here. Nice houses that are 2 story are about $800-$1,500 a month.

I wish! Im looking for a 2b1ba house up here, and OMG, they're all like 1k+ I found a few for under 800 but they all SUCK! lol.