Why can't you just bypass affected tissue in major hemorrhages?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Screenshot_20210203-180545_Samsung Notes.jpg

Pretend this is an arm and my anatomy is okay.

So supposing a large vessel got a lac, why can't we just reroute the blood with some needles and tubing and bypass effected areas?

I know ischemia following hypoxia is a concern, but isn't that the same if we don't stop the bleeding?

I know in complex injuries that involve a lot of layers and vessels this probably isn't feasible, but I guess for the occasional moderate case?

Probably a dumb idea, but it's been floating around in my head enough that I'd like someone to dismantle it.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Take a cooked spaghetti noodles. Cut it in half. And using pliers for hands stitch it back together in the back of a truck going down a washboard road. Oh and covered in butter!

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Okay but why not us in the field?

Especially when transport time is longer, like rural areas?
Because you need anesthesia, sterile fields, surgical instruments, assistants and a surgeon to do what you're talking about. This should give you some idea of the technical realities:

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Take a cooked spaghetti noodles. Cut it in half. And using pliers for hands stitch it back together in the back of a truck going down a washboard road. Oh and covered in butter!
Mmmm delicious patients are the best

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Because you need anesthesia, sterile fields, surgical instruments, assistants and a surgeon to do what you're talking about. This should give you some idea of the technical realities:

Nvm the fact that 3 doctors are in this video opening credits shows me I underestimated what it takes

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I guess in my head I had it as two large bore needles/catheters, tegaderms and some tubing. 🤷‍♀️