Why are there so many skills in the EMT-B Textbook?

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
So I never had a chance to ask this, but why does the EMT-B textbook cover skills that are out of our scope of practice (I think) such as starting IV's and interpreting heart rhythms?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Having an inkling of what your future co-workers do is probably a good idea in any line of work. On top of that, EMTs assisting with IVs and placing leads is not uncommon in some places.

If I was an EMT program director, I'd also want to produce students that don't have to ask questions such as "what are those lines on the monitor?" when they get on the truck for the first time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's a good idea to have a basic understanding of the common ALS skills so that you can assist if needed. Also in some areas those extra skills are in the EMT scope of practice.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
They should save everyone some money and make the EMT-B textbook the first chapter or two of the Paramedic textbook and then when you get to the end have a page that says in big letters, "Here's some of the stuff you still don't know." Might help with some of the new folks.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Lots of EMT programs also use the textbook to teach the "ALS assist" class.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Where I work, ALS trucks are (usually, not always) staffed with one EMT and one medic. Knowing how to set up what the medic needs and why is generally helpful.

MRE

Forum Captain
Different areas may allow EMTs to perform different skills. I worked briefly with some EMTs who were allowed to start IVs and give at least saline and LR.