why are EMT interviews nerve racking?

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
It has been almost 2 years now and so far I been to only 3 interviews and my license needs to get renewed:glare:..one was with AMR and the other two was with pro transport1... I prepare myself the day before but when it comes down to it, it's really intimidating when your answering the question and they are writing what you are saying and it makes you think not to say any wrong thing cause they might write it down. On top of that I tend to focus looking only the person that's asking the question and not the whole people that was involve. My last interview was one interviewer and the other one was on the computer screen (like oovoo or skype cam) cuz she couldn't make it..So I completely forget to look at the girl on the computer screen when i was answering the question. I also notice when i was doing hand gesture to make my point she was looking at it like why are you doing that..i mean she didn't say that but i can tell...and i was nervous and i think they can tell..I don't know anymore I'm thinking this is not the right career for me..I'm gonna go ahead and renew my license and give it another 2 years and if I still can't pass the interview and get a job then imma have to change my fire-medic major..so does anyone here have been through similar experience and eventually got over the hump?? how did you do it? or anybody here can tell me some good advices i need to know? thank you appreciate your help :rolleyes:

Tommerag

What day is it?
Well from everything I've heard and read about Cali, your best bet for find a job would be looking outside of cali.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Because people choose to let them be nerve racking.

OP
OP
jh0n001flip

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
Well from everything I've heard and read about Cali, your best bet for find a job would be looking outside of cali.

So far only 3 of my colleague I went to EMT with got a job..why can't I??? they're no better than me..and yeah I was thinking going to SoCal to get an EMT job..but not out of California..I have families in Florida but thats too far for comfort:unsure:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
yeah I was thinking going to SoCal to get an EMT job

Out of the frying pan and into the fire after soaking one's clothing in 100 octane low-lead aviation gasoline.....

OP
OP
jh0n001flip

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
Theres that as well.

I got hired for a wheelchaired company called Express Medical Transport and how come I was confident about it..but the EMT interview is really stressing me out...I'm gonna talk to my college counselor if they have any classes for interview lessons :glare:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I got hired for a wheelchaired company called Express Medical Transport and how come I was confident about it..but the EMT interview is really stressing me out...I'm gonna talk to my college counselor if they have any classes for interview lessons :glare:

Because you're overanalyzing it and expecting too much of yourself.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Because you're overanalyzing it and expecting too much of yourself.

Agreed.....I try to be confident, but not cocky. I also don't take the interviews too seriously. I don't expect anything going into it. Have you had many interviews for jobs in general?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm always a little surprised when I hear people say that interviews are so hard. For most people (like me) I notice that their favorite topic to discuss is themselves, so an interview is just a time when you get to talk about the best parts of yourself, and you're *supposed* to spin the bad things in a positive way.

I am the only thing I am good at selling. For some reason, I've never interviewed for a job and not gotten an offer.

I feel for people in CA, where getting a job is such a crapshoot.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm always a little surprised when I hear people say that interviews are so hard. For most people (like me) I notice that their favorite topic to discuss is themselves, so an interview is just a time when you get to talk about the best parts of yourself, and you're *supposed* to spin the bad things in a positive way.

I am the only thing I am good at selling. For some reason, I've never interviewed for a job and not gotten an offer.

I feel for people in CA, where getting a job is such a crapshoot.

Same thing, almost always had an offer.

Here's thing thing, don't think of it as an interview, think of it as an informal chat with them. Just, you're dressed up. And the more practice you get, the better it will be.

McLovin

Forum Ride Along
Same thing, almost always had an offer.

Here's thing thing, don't think of it as an interview, think of it as an informal chat with them. Just, you're dressed up. And the more practice you get, the better it will be.

I agree with the last sentence. You have to practice what you're going to say to some of the more obvious questions. For example, be able to answer, "Tell me about yourself." Give a brief background/history highlighting accomplishments and strengths, and then cover your goals and career path. At the end of the interview if they ask you, "Would you like to add anything," make sure to say something more to sell yourself and mention how you would love to have the job. If they ask you if you have any questions make sure to answer with something, even if you know the answer. I usually ask what makes a person successful in this position.

Now, I have a question for you: what do you remember from the AMR interview?

OP
OP
jh0n001flip

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
I agree with the last sentence. You have to practice what you're going to say to some of the more obvious questions. For example, be able to answer, "Tell me about yourself." Give a brief background/history highlighting accomplishments and strengths, and then cover your goals and career path. At the end of the interview if they ask you, "Would you like to add anything," make sure to say something more to sell yourself and mention how you would love to have the job. If they ask you if you have any questions make sure to answer with something, even if you know the answer. I usually ask what makes a person successful in this position.

Now, I have a question for you: what do you remember from the AMR interview?

basically I was nervous. 3 people were interviewing me and they throw some questions that were not common so I had to come up with an answer that wasn't memories in my head. And the physical I think I did okay..I mention all the critical criteria like check ABC and history..and the written I think I A's that.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
3 people were interviewing me and they throw some questions that were not common so I had to come up with an answer that wasn't memories in my head.

And this is different from working clinically how other than the fact that you know what the questions are unlike when trying to figure out patients?

OP
OP
jh0n001flip

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
And this is different from working clinically how other than the fact that you know what the questions are unlike when trying to figure out patients?

I don't know man..all I want is a chance so I can start somewhere. things like that you become good at it over time..it's not a one day thing where you inherit that thing. All I know is the basics and I'm gonna start from there.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, but the point I am making is that a lot of folks in EMS treat interviews as a step towards them getting a job whereas they are more properly looked at as a hurdle to clear since the purpose of interviews is not to find people to fill a position but rather to weed out those unsuited for the position that are not excluded by criminal background checks, resume review, etc. If someone is freaked out by the prospect of being asked tough questions then I would question their suitability and/or ability to function independently in the field under duress.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Yeah, but the point I am making is that a lot of folks in EMS treat interviews as a step towards them getting a job whereas they are more properly looked at as a hurdle to clear since the purpose of interviews is not to find people to fill a position but rather to weed out those unsuited for the position that are not excluded by criminal background checks, resume review, etc. If someone is freaked out by the prospect of being asked tough questions then I would question their suitability and/or ability to function independently in the field under duress.

USAF,you'd be one of those guys I'd love to have a cup of coffee with. I like your thinking! ^_^

On a side note, I had an interview with a local ski resort for an EMT/Ski Patrol posistion last season... They put a bunch of people in a room and played the hokie pokie.... those who didn't dance, were dismissed... I thought it was some tactic to ease the jitters before the mass interview and I was half flirting half being friendly with one of the girls in the group which resulted in my dancing, which got me to the next round. You never know what they have planned, just be relaxed, honest, and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
basically I was nervous. 3 people were interviewing me and they throw some questions that were not common so I had to come up with an answer that wasn't memories in my head. And the physical I think I did okay..I mention all the critical criteria like check ABC and history..and the written I think I A's that.

There is no way to have a rehearsed answer for every question they could ask (nor would you want to). What I would recommend is that you ask people, Google, and think up every possible interview question you may be asked and write out an answer for it.

DO NOT memorise those answers though. What I expect you will find is that there will be a number of key things in your life where you displayed leadership, addressed conflict, showed your ambition, or did whatever that will be things you find yourself using in many of the responses. Come prepared ready to talk about these experiences and simply pull from the most applicable ones when questioned.

Good luck!