Who's bored?

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Me! I'm bored. There was a pretty large fire in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin today. A 12 unit condo/villa building at a resort. Yep. I drove around watching. Not real sure if I want to get into firefighting yet. I don't have much interest in it really. But anyways, it was a pretty nice fire. They had trucks from Racine, which is about 40 minutes away. They took our engine and ladder truck. The engine posted in Lake Geneva, and the ladder truck went to the scene. Crazy. I'm just about finished with my IV tech class. This comming Wednesday is review day. Then I have a weapons of Mass Destruction lecture. Then, finals from the tech college. My state test is not until the end of June. I know, June?! I'm going to forget everything by then. I wanted the begining of May, but that test is about 1.5 hours away. Everyone complained about having to drive. Wah wah. I'd rather drive than forget everything and fail. But hey, thats just me.

So, hows everyone been? Familys doing okay? Still loving the job? I'm great. Family's good. My nephew is currently sleeping on the couch. I'm babysitting. 3 kids. Its a lot to handle. My nephew is 4, he'll be 5 in May. I can't believe how smart he is. My niece is 3. Lately, its like her ears have fallen off because she doesnt listen. My other niece is 7 months. Shes a joy. Hardly cries. Always smiling.
I've got a sister whos 17. She's alright, most of the time. We had a nice time today walking along the lake. My other sister is 26. Shes out getting drunk as I type. My mom just got remarried in Febuary. My dad remarried a few years ago. Yep.

I'm still pretty angry at my squad. After I finish my class, they say they're going to "teach me to be an emt." They decided to do this a year after I've been on? I've been told that I need to retake my basic class. Use it or lose it. I never get to use any of my basic skills. I really dislike being an a medic squad. Oh well.

Does everyone have a favorite TV show? I like a few different ones.I'm watching Nip/Tuck right now. Crazy show. I wonder when Rescue Me comes back on. I liked that show. Hilarious.

Well, I'll leave you all to digest this. Besides, I have a paper cut that needs a bandaid. :ph34r:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Phridae@Apr 3 2005, 12:03 AM
Me! I'm bored. There was a pretty large fire in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin today. A 12 unit condo/villa building at a resort. Yep. I drove around watching. Not real sure if I want to get into firefighting yet. I don't have much interest in it really. But anyways, it was a pretty nice fire.
Did you bring the marshmallows?

Crazy. I'm just about finished with my IV tech class. This comming Wednesday is review day.
Good for you. Shouldn't be too hard for you.

Then I have a weapons of Mass Destruction lecture.
This has become a specialty of my school - we dress folks up in level C with PAPR and have them intubate, start IV's and run megacodes.

I'm still pretty angry at my squad. After I finish my class, they say they're going to "teach me to be an emt." They decided to do this a year after I've been on? I've been told that I need to retake my basic class. Use it or lose it. I never get to use any of my basic skills. I really dislike being an a medic squad. Oh well.
I've been an EMT for almost 4 years. I'm still "precepting" at my one squad. I've pi$$ed off a lot of people by being a young, arrogant, know-it-all, and now that I'm coming close to god-hood in the BLS squad by being almost done medic school, some folks are realizing that I need to get through before I show up with a Michael Jackson patch on my sleeve.

Does everyone have a favorite TV show? I like a few different ones.I'm watching Nip/Tuck right now. Crazy show. I wonder when Rescue Me comes back on. I liked that show. Hilarious.
I've not watched it in a while, but I've heard they are cancelling Third Watch. Several years ago, it used to be a REALLY good, almost accurate show that often centered on the FD / EMS side. Now it's gone downhill and is much more of another Police drama. Still, sad to see it go. Same with Start trek: Enterprise - there won't be a Star Trek on the air now - first time since Next Gereration started.

I'm rambling. I'll TTYL.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to watch Third Watch every week. Nobody could talk from 2000-2100 Friday nights (I was central time). Then in like the third season or so they started making it more Soap Opera like. So I started watching less and less. Now I tune in every now and then, but its not a loss if I miss it.

Now House! I LOVE that show!! It is just funny to me to listen to him say all the things I wish we really could say to these people we encounter here. At the ER I work at, we have a DR who is known for telling a patient the truth, no matter how brutal. I have heard him tell a person whose BP was 200something over 100 something they would soon be dead if they didn't loose some weight, stop smoking, and get their BP under control. He has a nice speech for the girls who come to the ER for the morning after pill. They get very upset when he won't prescribe it as it is against his beliefs. When the girls get ugly about it, he lets them threaten him with their lawyers, and he expresses his opinion about their behavior. I can just imagine he keeps our hospitals attorneys busy. But is refreshing to hear sometimes.

I have a son. He keeps me pretty occupied. No real time to get bored. Not Content with where I am at is a better way to put it. I am just about to finish up my EMT-B class. Then in August I start the RN program. I just want to be done with that and working in the ER. At least then I am just getting the expierence I need to fly. I know who I want to fly for. I just need the RN liscence and years expierence they require.

OH, and the nurses here keep looking at me trying to decide if I have pink eye or not. Just waiting for the DR to look at it. It burns like crazy, is all pink and grossy like. Would stand to reason, with this cold and all I have.

Ok..now I am rambling. Guess I will get to work.

See y'all!

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
You guys sound as bored as I get in school... Then again highschool is alot less interesting than anything else... I can't get away with typing during class. I hope your days get more interesting!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I get bored at home, even though I always have a zillion things to do. Like today, my husband is going to clean for me so I can study, my mom in law wants me to go veiw properties with her, I have to redo my NREMT application, I need to put color on my hair and the kids always want something...

and here I sit at the computer.

It's nice to see every one just blab away on here, I don't feel like the only one who does it anymore :p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I think part of the problem with Third Watch is that it's really tough to get into it and stay into it since there are gaps of several weeks between new episodes. Who knows where seasons start and end anymore? What happened to sweeps week? Why can networks only make 7 new episodes (instead of 13) and call it a season by spacing them out with 2 new shows, 3 weeks off, 3 shows, 2 weeks off... it's not FAIR!!!

SCEMT-B

Forum Crew Member
Bored? Bored was half my shift today at the station. I think we spent more time sleeping (damn hour change :angry: ) in our racks then we did anything else. calls where non exitant and lunch was pretty good for $8 :p so for a 7 day strait works week today was GREAT!

I missed Paramedics all week but I did happen to catch critical hour. My paramedic says Im nuts for watching what I do every day. :blink: He obviously doesn't know me very well or has yet to meet my girlfriend :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by 40sCutest@Apr 3 2005, 11:04 AM
I can't get away with typing during class. I hope your days get more interesting!!
Thats what study halls are for... been there, done that.

You can always bring your EMT book to health class. I did once, my health teacher thought the childbirth instructions and pictures were neat, but the poor guy almost lost it over a penile avulsion. :lol: :lol:

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Apr 3 2005, 11:03 AM
Now House! I LOVE that show!! It is just funny to me to listen to him say all the things I wish we really could say to these people we encounter here. At the ER I work at, we have a DR who is known for telling a patient the truth, no matter how brutal. I have heard him tell a person whose BP was 200something over 100 something they would soon be dead if they didn't loose some weight, stop smoking, and get their BP under control. He has a nice speech for the girls who come to the ER for the morning after pill. They get very upset when he won't prescribe it as it is against his beliefs. When the girls get ugly about it, he lets them threaten him with their lawyers, and he expresses his opinion about their behavior. I can just imagine he keeps our hospitals attorneys busy. But is refreshing to hear sometimes.

Yeah - some people need to here the berutal truth, and will take pixie-sugar-coated stuff and IGNORE it.

My favriote doc is in one of the other large traum,a centers - I've never seen this, but she is convinced that anyone who drops the f-bomb in her ED three times is altered and/or combative, and therefore automaticly gets a tube. Nice to have docs sometimes who don't take sh*t from nobody.

I can just imagine he keeps our hospitals attorneys busy. But is refreshing to hear sometimes.

Wasn't he on ER????

Jon

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Well for me board is not something that happens all to quick for me. Suppose to be working on my micro paper due tommarrow and I haven't started. It is only one article. Had the night off first night I have been home at 1930 in a long time. I will probley go down to the hospital and work out. School is going fairly well working on the cardiovascular system. Family is doing good. Dog and cats are behaving them selves. Start a Rescue Tech class next week on Monday. Its nice to hear everyone else is busy. for the most part. I am not on ambulance call till this weekend. But I suppose better go. Take care everyone.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Apr 4 2005, 06:14 PM
but the poor guy almost lost it over a penile avulsion.
The one in the Brady book? It's a great way to shut up annoying firefighters!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Apr 4 2005, 08:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Apr 4 2005, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Apr 4 2005, 06:14 PM
but the poor guy almost lost it over a penile avulsion.
The one in the Brady book? It's a great way to shut up annoying firefighters!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
this is the same health teacher who loves to brag about being an "Ironman" (Yeah - the REAL one - He finished in the middle of the pack).

Great guy, but thought I'd have do start the "Unconsious/ unresponsive" protocol for a minute. He then INSISTED on showing the whole class... :rolleyes:

Well, I got bonus points :D

Jon

OP
OP
Phridae

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Apr 4 2005, 06:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Apr 4 2005, 06:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-40sCutest@Apr 3 2005, 11:04 AM
I can't get away with typing during class. I hope your days get more interesting!!
Thats what study halls are for... been there, done that.

You can always bring your EMT book to health class. I did once, my health teacher thought the childbirth instructions and pictures were neat, but the poor guy almost lost it over a penile avulsion. :lol: :lol:

Jon [/b][/quote]
I always studied in my Biology large group class. Every now and then, someone would get a hold of my book and be looking at the atlas of injuries in the back. I had a Brady book. Some nice pics. I think its in JEMS, but they have some nice pics in the back of this months issue too. If you see them, show them to your husband and tell him he'd better fold the towels, or else. :lol:

I still watch Third Watch. Now it is more focused on the PD. Its not the same show that it used to be. I watched some Johnson and Johnson movie called 14 Hours on TBS on Sunday. They lose power to this hospital in Houston Texas. They have to do everything manually. What did I keep saying? "They're bagging that baby way too slow." or "Let me meet a nurse that nice!" :D I'm told I'm no fun to watch any sort of medical show anymore because I point out all the faults. Woops.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
My dad watches ER reruns, and I'm always pointing out things that are wrong or can't happen. I think it annoys him, but he hasnt said anything either that or he ignores me lol. As for being bored that's pretty much all the time, which is funny because you would think with a baby on the way I wouldnt have time to get bored. I haven't been able to run calls for a few months so I spend most of my time listening to my radio and scanner wishing I could go "play". The baby is due may 12 so I should be back on by august or sooner oh wait that's fair time and my squad gets to cover it maybe I'll wait until after lol. :lol:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by emtchicky156@Apr 5 2005, 09:41 AM
My dad watches ER reruns, and I'm always pointing out things that are wrong or can't happen. I think it annoys him, but he hasnt said anything either that or he ignores me lol.
My husband and I have an agreement, he doesn't b*tch when I correct the medical shows, and I don't b*itch when he corrects the cop shows. It's a nice system.

Good luck on May 12!!!! :D

OP
OP
Phridae

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
The baby is due may 12 so I should be back on by august or sooner oh wait that's fair time and my squad gets to cover it maybe I'll wait until after lol. :lol:
We cover the fair too. =P

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My dad watches ER reruns, and I'm always pointing out things that are wrong or can't happen.
I watch ER, too.

I just taught a CPR Class on Wed, hand to point out the difference between TVR and CPR - Only one involves loud crys of "Live, D@mn you, Live!" :rolleyes: :lol:

ER isn't totally inacurate, though... They USUALLY get the right drugs, and actually talk of REAL medical and logistical problems.

Dig Toxicity comes up 2-3 times a year, and then there is the MCI or Hazmat that slams the ED.

But yes, helocoptors don't usually crash ON doctors, no matter how much of a jerk they are. :rolleyes:

Jon