Whoops! No Valium in our box

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Don't be a dumping ground.

Be mindful, you may be getting stock that his on its last 30 days as a way for a supplier/hospital to rotate out their older stock. Our supplying AFB hosp used to do that to my guard unit until our commander talked to their commander about it.

CDub

Forum Ride Along
Now using Ativan d/t the shortage. We're using cheap fridges that power off a USB on our mdt's to refrigerate it. No problems so far.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We just did the state training on Ativan, as it was just added to our protocol in case we run out of versed.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's a link to a physician emergency medicine forum. Lots of people are having shortages, and what they're running out of is truly frightening.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=890599

How do you run an ER without MS, Dilauded, Ativan, Versed, Reglan, Phenergan, Zofran, and Toradol? I mean, I know there are alternative drugs, but it seems a bit more dangerous for all the providers to start using drugs they aren't as familiar with in an emergent environment.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Looks like we will also be making the switch to Diprivan cause of the Etomidate shortage

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Looks like we will also be making the switch to Diprivan cause of the Etomidate shortage

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Because that went so well for Michael Jackson...

Seriously though, it seems really really bad to have paramedics (or any providers) switching to drugs they weren't trained on and haven't used on the fly due to shortages. I hope they are doing some hardcore con-ed on these.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Because that went so well for Michael Jackson...

Seriously though, it seems really really bad to have paramedics (or any providers) switching to drugs they weren't trained on and haven't used on the fly due to shortages. I hope they are doing some hardcore con-ed on these.

The national scope for Paramedics includes >100 medications and you are responsible for knowing them.

It's not too bad swapping from one benzo to another, for example.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
The national scope for Paramedics includes >100 medications and you are responsible for knowing them.

It's not too bad swapping from one benzo to another, for example.
Over 100...really...

Not even close.