• No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A what, now?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So I found out that I was incorrect and the tubing we use is compatible with the Level1 infuser which is a big part of why we still carry them.
Every IV set is compatible with the level 1. You just have to attach the level 1 tubing to the IV set. The one pictured in the link you attached earlier is not level 1 tubing.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Tangent here -- I have to say, many of us carry equipment that is either out of scope or no longer standard of care because of this very thing. Up til last year, we were carrying paper bags (yes, for "hyperventilation syndrome") and MAST...

I half-way wonder, with all of the evolving understanding of volume resuscitation (volume responders v. non volume responders, stressed v. non-stressed volume and their roles in venous return) if MAST are not going to get another look...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Up til last year, we were carrying paper bags (yes, for "hyperventilation syndrome") and MAST...
Mast: The Sequel must have flopped? I thought they were making a comeback?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Mast: The Sequel must have flopped? I thought they were making a comeback?

Are they? When I left my Trauma/MICN gig in the early 90's, we still used them. In the intervening years they went away. But I'm pretty sure that aggressive crystalloid administration in trauma was the order of the day at the same time that MASTs went away.

Folks using them again?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Are they? When I left my Trauma/MICN gig in the early 90's, we still used them. In the intervening years they went away. But I'm pretty sure that aggressive crystalloid administration in trauma was the order of the day at the same time that MASTs went away.

Folks using them again?
There was talks about bringing it back maybe 3-5 years (?) ago, but it fizzled out.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Gosh, I hope not. They are a pain in the butt to manage, oh, and they don't work :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are still carrying bite sticks for seizures even though protocol is no bite sticks...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've seen them carried, but most blood banks are pretty insistent their tubing be used, even in traumas. So it's pretty pointless honestly.

OP
OP
Ensihoitaja

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Every IV set is compatible with the level 1. You just have to attach the level 1 tubing to the IV set. The one pictured in the link you attached earlier is not level 1 tubing.

That's not the exact set we use, just the closest I could find on Google. And by Level1 compatible, I mean they just hook the blood up to it, not connect different tubing to the IV set.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Cypress Creek carries these for our field transfusions.