Who Needs An AED? CPR FTW!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
She did contact the ER Dr (our advisior) and he told her that the patient probably had a sycopal episode with a faint pulse or something similar. Of course the paper never wrote a follow up!

Where's the story in an apology? "If it bleeds, it leads".

Seeing a CPR subject sit up and smoke is as good as seeing a firefighter exit a fire, pull off her/his SCBA mask, and light up.

mycrofft

Well, they could be! :huh:

In the USA and outside Pediatrics, they most probably are, but that little wedge of the piechart that says "I can be saved" is worth going for.

Tell you what; if my offspring or wife go down and you (generic you) are there, you have my permission to try your best to save them, 'k? I want 'em BACK.;)

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
In the USA and outside Pediatrics, they most probably are, but that little wedge of the piechart that says "I can be saved" is worth going for.

Tell you what; if my offspring or wife go down and you (generic you) are there, you have my permission to try your best to save them, 'k? I want 'em BACK.;)

Oh, absolutely go for it!

Mycrofft, I'll do my best for ya! :p

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Had a call where medics got pulses and a perfusable rhythm back with CPR and one round of Epi. No defib. Patient was later called at the hospital.

From what I am gathering from this thread this is not possible?

mycrofft

It all depends upon what caused the death.

Again,
1. Not finding a palpable pulse in the field does not mean there IS no pulse.
2. No palpable pulse does not mean there is no AUDIBLE pulse.
2. Just because there is no audible nor palpable pulse (even in a quiet room) does not mean there is no shockable rhythm.

There are, a.) haemodynamic asystole (no pulse), and there is b.)electrical asystole (flatline, "Kansas Sign"). You can have a without b, but not b without a.

The pt is not survivable, despite CPR/AED and drugs if:
1. The heart is dead (enough necrosis or neuro blockade).
2. The brain is dead (ditto)
3. The cause of either of the above is persistent enough that CPR etc cannot outlast it or there is no countermeasure.
There. Magic Max's definition of "All-Dead!".

princess-bride_320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Responded to a respiratory distress call earlier this week in hospital. A million people in the room standing around trying to bag/intubate/etc. Pt is on a monitor, and suddenly somebody looks up and points out that pt is asystolic. Leads checked, pulselessness confirmed by like 5 different MD's who were in the room. ~8 minutes of rib cracking and a few rounds of epi later he was back in a sinus rhythm with corresponding pulses.

I was shocked, but apparently it is possible to bring somebody back with nothing but CPR and maybe some drugs. I'm sure the fact that CPR was started within probably 20 seconds of him going asystolic made a big difference. Guy was a trainwreck and probably didn't make it in the end anyways, though.