who here like to shoot in their spare time?

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
The thing that makes them legal is the magazine release - notice the funky-looking mag release in those pictures I posted. It allows you to easily release the magazines, but not with your finger - you must use a tool, like a bullet or other small object.

From CA PC 12276.1:
“detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device that can be
removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action
nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is
considered a tool.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
im beating my head against the wall trying to make you understand this.

if they require special tools to reload them, they are not average production guns. they are specially designed to be california compliant. you still cant have the same hardware as everybody else. its has to be altered.

you cant just order anything you want from the bushmaster catalog. you cant go to gunbroker and buy any ar listed.

theres all sorts of laws you folks out there have that other people dont. the california compliant ar's arent "getting around the laws easily" as you originally posted. they are complying with them.

regardless, debating the myriad of firearms laws isnt very purposeful. agree too disagree on the sematics.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
hey its not worth getting upset over. I always enjoy discussing gun laws. Perhaps this is just a semantics-level misunderstanding. But the way you describe it, the entire gun has to be designed to be CA-compliant, like the old sealed-magwell guns that actually did have to be built specifically to comply with CA law.

What I'm saying is that, thanks to the efforts of some gun owners in CA who decided to design and produce a drop-in magazine release, we actually can have all the same hardware as everyone else (in terms of meaningful parts of the gun - i.e. there is no sealed magwell or welded-in magazine). Changing out the mag release takes all of 2 minutes and is not a major alteration to the gun. There are no "special tools" - it can be a bullet tip, allen wrench, etc. But I guess its just a different way of looking at things... oh well

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
offtopic1.gif

Can we get back on topic please?

If you want to discuss the legality of firearms ownership, there are several good firearms related forums out there.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good question what IS "unindoctrinated"?

Part training and part grandpa sitting you down before you plink your first Coors bottles.

1. Know about lethal force, what it really is, what the consequences are legal and personal even, and especially even, if you are in the right. US military even has a course on this, used to be a two-parter; LOAC ("Laws of Armed Conflict") and Use of Lethal Force.

2. You can't just "know" safety, you have to have it stored into your spinal cord like walking and using the TV remote. That includes safe storage, cleaning and maintenance, and shedding the assumption that you will always hit what you aim for, or kill it cleanly, or that the bullet will stop magically at the range you want it to and not smack into the neighbor's barn or house.

3. Unlearn every Bruce Willis/Clint Eastwood/James Bond movie, etc., you have ever seen.

Two words: Humility, and armsmanship.

(I'm still waiting on that grenade launcher test-ride).

PS: If I seem like a wet blanket, here, you ought to hear me when I run into people who wax rhapsodic about combat knives. Reminds me why Cavalry Store models used to all be pimply faced kids.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
really? I have to see if Il has that.

ILEMT do you know?

And you can own a AR-15 where you're at? Lucky.

IL has no provision for EMS to get an LEO discount. Thank the Democrats that run everything north of I-80.

Second: Yes I can, you cant because you live north of I-80. Again, thank the :excl::excl: Democrats.
-- Current law states that no non-LE folk can own anything with a detatchable mag north of I-80 in illinois, there are other restrictions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
emt19723

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
ummmm...ok. north of I-80 has different gun laws than those residents south of I-80????

rmellish

Forum Captain
There are very few if any federal gun laws. Most are set at the state level, and there are quite a few local ordnances as well.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
ummmm...ok. north of I-80 has different gun laws than those residents south of I-80????

Yes. Totally different.
Hell, in southern illinois you can even expect high schools to not hold classes on the first few days of deer season.

Also, the folks north of I-80 have totally separate statutes on the color of their ambulance lightbars. Up north vollies have a different light, and ever school has a metal detector and goes on lock down once the morning bell rings.

OP
OP
emt19723

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
wow....that has to be the most geographically-specific law standard i have ever heard of! lol

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Last warning....get back on topic, please. This is not the place to discuss firearms laws.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ff: i have to disagree with you here(your not surprised are you?)

the original question was a general one regarding recreational shooting. it wasnt specific to any type of firearm. the rules and regulations regarding the purchase, sale, transfer, possession, carrying and discharging of firearms are certainly well within the generality of the original post.

"this is not the place to discuss firearms laws". by that do you mean this thread or this board? if you mean this thread, see above. if you mean this board, im curious as to how you would go about justifying that. now, i realize you dont have to justify yourself to me. but id ask that you humor me and explain how the discussion of any facet of lawful ownership and use of firearms is inappropriate. if we are to limit our discussions to things that are only medical in nature, then half of the discussions in the "lounge" are therefore inappropriate.

i would wholeheartedly agree that the discussion of illegal[/b] activity in any form should be prohibited. but we're not discussing illegal activity here. quite the opposite, as our discussion had morphed into what it takes to be compliant with the laws.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
Sweet. Oh man, I've never been too much into Glock, but that discount is pretty tempting. Time to start researching Glocks I guess.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No, I'm not surprised that you disagree with me. :p

This is supposed to be an EMS forum, not a free for all zone where anything under the sun is discussed. I have no problem with people discussing what they do in their spare time, but the issue becomes when the discussion turns to what is legal and illegal in various parts of the country.

Since we are an EMS forum, and not a firearms forum, we are NOT the resource for this type of information. There are several firearms related forums out there that are more appropriate places to discuss those topics. www.handgunlaw.us and www.opencarry.org are two forums that come to mind as being more appropriate and more accurate than any information here.

OP
OP
emt19723

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
Sweet. Oh man, I've never been too much into Glock, but that discount is pretty tempting. Time to start researching Glocks I guess.

well, as stated before, i am a pretty big Glock buff. but yeah, go ahead and research them. one thing i will tell you though...depending on how deep of research you do, you might find a big to do about Glocks "kabooming." thats all well and good...Glocks arent exempt from it. BUT, if you take those total numbers and put them in to contrast of how many Glocks are actually out there, its not a big percentage of them that do it at all. but of course, all the Glcok haters always want to make a big thing out of it and make it sound that any Glock you buy is gonna blow up in your hand. i have owned 8 Glocks now and i still have yet to ever have any problems with them.

a REALLY good source of info on Glocks can be found out at www.glocktalk.com. just go there and type in a search for just about anything and youll find out just about anything you wanna know about them.B)

OP
OP
emt19723

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
No, I'm not surprised that you disagree with me. :p

This is supposed to be an EMS forum, not a free for all zone where anything under the sun is discussed. I have no problem with people discussing what they do in their spare time, but the issue becomes when the discussion turns to what is legal and illegal in various parts of the country.

Since we are an EMS forum, and not a firearms forum, we are NOT the resource for this type of information. There are several firearms related forums out there that are more appropriate places to discuss those topics. www.handgunlaw.us and www.opencarry.org are two forums that come to mind as being more appropriate and more accurate than any information here.

another good gun law site...... www.packing.org

ok......nevermind. apparently the site doesnt work anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
another good gun law site...... www.packing.org

ok......nevermind. apparently the site doesnt work anymore.

it hasnt for some time now.

if your looking for a forum for firearms, gunbroker isnt too shabby a corner of the internet.

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
Not sure if anyone here is into it, but I shoot 3-gun matches and IPSC pistol matches for fun (Glock 35, RockRiverArms Ar-15, and switch between Rem Tac Police 1100 and Winchester Super X2). Anyway, I know some of the ranges in NC give discount on entry fees to EMS...like the idea of having an EMT around just incase something goes fubar. Anything like that in anyone else's area? I know Law Enforcement has their own shoots and comp. It would be cool to have an EMS class.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OP
OP
emt19723

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
Heavy.....i would love to get in to ISPC or any of those defensive shoots like that. the only problem is they never have any even relatively close to me. i hear they are fun though, and if i ever get the chance to, i will participate in one...just to see how i do.