Who has the best retirement benefits?

XCareBear

Forum Ride Along
I’m planning to move out of CA after I finish paramedic school and would like some input. I’d really love to work somewhere that offers a lifetime pension or other enhanced retirement benefits. Please drop the name of any employers that you know provide this. Thanks!

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I’m planning to move out of CA after I finish paramedic school and would like some input. I’d really love to work somewhere that offers a lifetime pension or other enhanced retirement benefits. Please drop the name of any employers that you know provide this. Thanks!
Any municipal agency in a state with a pension system, with the exception of the very few number of agencies that have done away with it in favor of a 401k..

Rubicon Bob

Forum Crew Member
Any municipal agency in a state with a pension system, with the exception of the very few number of agencies that have done away with it in favor of a 401k..

I believe that you will see many more Municipal agencies going to 401K/etc, in place of Defined Pension Benefits, as they (Defined Pension Benefits) are not sustainable in the long term.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Idaho has a fairly good defined benefits pension for all government employees. The other benefits vary depending on what they offer.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I believe that you will see many more Municipal agencies going to 401K/etc, in place of Defined Pension Benefits, as they (Defined Pension Benefits) are not sustainable in the long term.
They’re only not sustainable in areas where the government can access/borrow against those funds. My sTate does not have this problem and our pension system is doing just fine.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
They’re only not sustainable in areas where the government can access/borrow against those funds. My sTate does not have this problem and our pension system is doing just fine.
For now...that may change in the future.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
that's actually financially incorrect. The reason many of these defined pension systems are in trouble is due to the fact that municipalities and states have neglected to contribute their contributions for decades, and now see it as unsustainable to properly fund them. If they had kept up the regular payments, it would absolutely be both budgetable and sustainable.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
that's actually financially incorrect. The reason many of these defined pension systems are in trouble is due to the fact that municipalities and states have neglected to contribute their contributions for decades, and now see it as unsustainable to properly fund them. If they had kept up the regular payments, it would absolutely be both budgetable and sustainable.
Luckily Idaho as of 2021 had a fully funded pension.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Check USAjobs.gov for government jobs.

I have been working for the US for almost 15 years and plan to retire in 10 more. I have approx. $250K in TSP (Federal version of 401K), and am sitting on 31 weeks of leave.