Who get's to drive?

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
Hi everyone,

My questions is, if I was working for an ambulance service would I be able to drive as just a EMT-B or Emt-I? Or do I need to be a paramedic?

I am new to all this I just registered for my EMT-B class today. I am an undergrad, degree seeking for Paramedic Lic.

Thanks

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Here it depends on the call. Crews switch off between EMT and Medic around town and to the call. Then depending on if its BLS/ILS or ALS the provider not providing care drives on the return trip.

OP
OP
B

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
Okay, thank you!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you're doing 911, the vast majority of the time, the EMT will be driving.

If you're doing IFT, it really depends on what you have worked out with your partner. Some medics have the EMTs drive all the time, some switch off every other call.

I get weird looks from EMTs I havent worked with before when I hop in the drivers seat...

OP
OP
B

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
If you're doing 911, the vast majority of the time, the EMT will be driving.

If you're doing IFT, it really depends on what you have worked out with your partner. Some medics have the EMTs drive all the time, some switch off every other call.

I get weird looks from EMTs I havent worked with before when I hop in the drivers seat...

Okay I gotcha, I used to work at a private mental hospital and the medics that came in to take the patients over to the hospital for medical clearence I assume that was there job for the day? I guess what I'm asking is, are medics assigned to 911 on day and non-ER cases other days?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Depends on the service and the contracts held.

OP
OP
B

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
Depends on the service and the contracts held.

So I would think that there are more then one type of services offered by a single Ambulance service. Here in Reno we only have one ambulance service, there called REMSA they handle all 911 calls here in Reno. Are some trucks on stand by for 911 calls and others for others services depending on who they are contracted with?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So I would think that there are more then one type of services offered by a single Ambulance service. Here in Reno we only have one ambulance service, there called REMSA they handle all 911 calls here in Reno. Are some trucks on stand by for 911 calls and others for others services depending on who they are contracted with?

I can speak to that one specifically. REMSA holds a 911 contract for Washoe county covering as far north as Gerlach and as far east as Pyramid Lake, besides up at the lake, which is handled by NLTFPD.

They do run random IFTs (priority 4) if requested by a facility, but mostly it is all 911 service. However they do also run emergent (code 3) transports (Priority 99 if I remember correctly) when requested, mostly from the Veterans hospital or NNMC or Renown South Meadows for pts that cannot be handled by these hospitals and are unstable. They have a division, called Med Express, that runs BLS IFTs in the area.

Where are you taking your Basic class in Reno? I'm a Reno local so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
We generally take turns (job about) if the pt is really sick the most qualified (advanced care paramedic) does patient care. If we have an intensive care paramedic attend (ICP) generally the student (me) will drive their interceptor car, ACP drive truck with ICP in back.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
One service in a city that I worked in, the EMT-Bs official title was EVO... Not that I really saw much wrong with it.

OP
OP
B

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
I can speak to that one specifically. REMSA holds a 911 contract for Washoe county covering as far north as Gerlach and as far east as Pyramid Lake, besides up at the lake, which is handled by NLTFPD.

They do run random IFTs (priority 4) if requested by a facility, but mostly it is all 911 service. However they do also run emergent (code 3) transports (Priority 99 if I remember correctly) when requested, mostly from the Veterans hospital or NNMC or Renown South Meadows for pts that cannot be handled by these hospitals and are unstable. They have a division, called Med Express, that runs BLS IFTs in the area.

Where are you taking your Basic class in Reno? I'm a Reno local so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I am taking my EMT classes up at TMCC at the training center.