Which Ems pants??

Tikkamike

Forum Ride Along
I am looking for a pair of ems pants that will hold some gear and hold up to lots of use and provide an unrestricted full range of movement. I'm a big guy. 6'3" 300 lbs and my problem is a lot of pants seem to have a low hanging crotch which restricts leg movement. What do you guys recommend?

EMT2015

Forum Captain
5.11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The TacLites from 5.11 fit what you're looking for except for durability. The seams tend to give out rather quickly. I use them exclusively thanks to my department, and have to get new ones quite often. 5.11 styles other than TacLite tend to not have that problem, though.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
5.11 FTW. I've had mine since EMT school (3 years ago). Lately I've been wearing my Workrite Nomex to cut down on all the crap I used to carry.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I can get about 2 years out of a pair of taclites. They might actually be the most comfy pants I own.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I also agree. I am a big 5.11 fan. I use the heavier (normal) ones for EMS and the taclites for SAR, although, I would recommend the reverse for anyone else (heavier for SAR and lighter for EMS).

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
9e195777108dae7c82641185b5f18687.jpg

I like these over shorts. 5.11 pants are nice too though.

CALEMT

Shorts should be illegal in EMS haha

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Here in central AZ we're topping 100 daily on the temp scale. We call them barrier pants and they are pretty standard uniform for all the area departments. I will say I used to agree with you @CALEMT and I had never seen them before moving out here..

I wear shorts when around the station or on the most BLS of calls and throw on the barrier pants for anything else.
They also are great for slipping on in the middle of the night

CALEMT

Here in central AZ we're topping 100 daily on the temp scale.

Same here in So Cal, we get days 115+ and if it were a option to wear shorts I would still wear pants. I'm kinda sketched out by the whole exposed legs in the ambulance thing. Pants give me a sense of protection.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Same here in So Cal, we get days 115+ and if it were a option to wear shorts I would still wear pants. I'm kinda sketched out by the whole exposed legs in the ambulance thing. Pants give me a sense of protection.

I agree for the most part. But how much protection do pants really provide aside from against abrasion or burns if you happen to be wearing a nomex/Kevlar blend? All of our units at least have access to a shower and I'm much more comfortable cleaning myself off than wiping something off my pants and wearing it around in the fibers for the rest of the shift.

We also have company policy that they are not to be worn in quarters or as loungewear.

Overpants go on when we get the call and come off after the call so I'm not dragging whatever was in that room at the snf into the station and into my bed.

CALEMT

Sky's out thighs out.

TattooedNay

Forum Crew Member
"I don’t wear the regulation uniform; I wear these, uh, shorts. And I actually had to lobby the sheriff’s department to get to wear these. But my argument was, hey, I’m out there in the streets. I’ve gotta be able to move like a cheetah, you know, a law enforcement cheetah."
I had a guy in my old company that was like LT. Dangle. All about those shorts.

Sorry to hijack your thread though.
I wear what my company pays for (Ladies Choice Elbeco) not very helpful since I just read that you are a self proclaimed big guy. I tried the 5.11's and found every pair made me look like I was wearing a big saggy diaper filled with poop. I also don't really need 5,000 pockets.

I have a pair of Tru-Spec's I bought on Amazon - Cheap (compared to 5.11's), lightweight and the waistband has some elastic. So you can move like a cheetah.