Which company?

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in the process of downgrading from Medic to EMT for a conditional job offer from the SFFD EMS Division.

Not exactly stoked on the downgrade; but I've been on this list for 3+ years and the pay and benefits are higher than anywhere else in the Country. It's hard to say no to; especially since it's a pay raise for me.

That and you get to work in San Francisco! It'll be just like the Tv Show Trauma! hahaha. The Chief says it'll be at least 1-2years before a Medic spot becomes available.

Other dream jobs for me? Big Island FD Medic in Hawaii (They do the transport on BI). AMR Maui County or Kauai County as well. Chicago or NY would be an interesting experience for a year or two before the burnout sets in.

I base my decisions on things other than work protocols.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm in the process of downgrading from Medic to EMT for a conditional job offer from the SFFD EMS Division.

Not exactly stoked on the downgrade; but I've been on this list for 3+ years and the pay and benefits are higher than anywhere else in the Country. It's hard to say no to; especially since it's a pay raise for me.

That and you get to work in San Francisco! It'll be just like the Tv Show Trauma! hahaha. The Chief says it'll be at least 1-2years before a Medic spot becomes available.

Other dream jobs for me? Big Island FD Medic in Hawaii (They do the transport on BI). AMR Maui County or Kauai County as well. Chicago or NY would be an interesting experience for a year or two before the burnout sets in.

I base my decisions on things other than work protocols.

I'm curious how they pay the most on the country. What's base pay there?

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
http://www.jobaps.com/SF/specs/classspecdisplay.asp?ClassNumber=H003&R1=undefined&R3=undefined

H2 - is a Firefighter/EMT or a Fire Paramedic
H3 - is a EMT/Paramdic

For some reason the City website does not have separate descriptions for all the Fire Based EMS job descriptions.

Strict single role EMTs start out at 72k per year first step.
Single role Medics start out at about 90k per year first step.

40 hour work week. 10 hour shifts four days a week. Typically EMS holdover OT opportunities.

The retirement is still a pension with 3%@50. (while the majority of the rest of the state pensions went to 2.7%@57)

San Francisco definitely isn't hurting for cash. Especially with how expensive it's gotten.
I know a guy that is still in the EMS Division and working as a Rescue Captain for about 150k a year. So they have different opportunities for promotion and advancement in EMS as well. It's not the typical dead-end or become Supervisor Paramedic job either.

Drax

Forum Captain
You need to get out of Washington at some point in your life. :)
I served in the military, been to a few different places/continents.

I've heard great things about Savannah...I'd honestly love to work at any medium/moderate call volume fire department with decent/good benefits that isn't in a completely rural area. New England area might not be so bad.

I'd test on the East Coast and the Mid West, but I simply can't afford to make the flights/drives. I've got a family to support and not a large surplus of traveling funds. I'll lose my mind over getting a conditional offer and I know I'll never forget the day I get one.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I absolutely love where I am now. The service is exactly the kind of place where I want to work.

However I do not foresee myself being able to live in Colorado Springs much longer, as I am much younger than most and there is a decided lack of what I guess you might call my sort of culture.

Ideally I'd like to get my medic and move to a more suited city for me (likely Denver, maybe Fort Collins or Cheyenne) and find a similar place. I like working for a small agency in a more rural area and I'll continue to seek that out.

Some of the bigger foothills towns have fire department run ambulances. The fulltime crews staff the ambulances first and the engines second if no volunteers are available. I'm interested in this so I could get into more aspects of EMS like rope and water rescue and things like that.

bizzy522

Forum Crew Member
In order mine would be:
Ada County Paramedics (Boise Idaho)
King County Medic 1
Travis County
REMSA
Denver Health

lissa304

Forum Probie
I am bored and have a little time on my hands, so I am interested in which system would you want to work for the most and why? With no other concerns of moving or anything like that. Maybe you are already apart of your dream system I don't know.

I'm from a small town outside Austin, so I have always wanted to work with Austin-Travis county. But for now that's still a work in progress! haha

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Are you south of Austin? SMHC or WEMS?

OP
OP
C

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm from a small town outside Austin, so I have always wanted to work with Austin-Travis county. But for now that's still a work in progress! haha

Pretty sure they are hiring again in September for a winter or spring academy. I just finished the process on Wednesday, so if you have any questions PM me and I will answer what I can.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Kern county was always my career destination, at least so far, given I grew up just south of here it was fairly attainable.

I'd love to visit King County Medic 1, and NPS Ranger/Medic.

Last edited by a moderator: