Where would you relocate?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Why would you relocate to the UK as a first choice?

I really like the city of London and they pay doctors very well.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Also interested as to why? You like $8 per quart lol

I have been to London several times, who the hell needs a car there?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sebastopol has very very good climate, that's why Luther Burbank set up farm there. Not too far from medical care, not too close to the gangbanger express (interstates), and close to ocean without being plagued by fogs and salt. Nor cosmic property values/taxes.
San Luis Obispo or Atascadero (both Calif) look good too.

EisforEffort

Forum Probie
Consider Little Rock, AR

I work for MEMS in Little Rock, AR as an EMT. I was part of their rookie program. They have their own 911 dispatch, pair medics with EMT's on ALS trucks and BLS make more an hour. The coverage is very large. Hours are 12's, 24's (in outlying areas) and some locations 14's. CEU is done on site as well as EMT and paramedic classes. Starting EMT salary was just bumped to 23k a year. However there are raises with good driving and lots of overtime. Benefits include retirement, health and dental, accrued pto, and uniform allowance. I've read some bad reviews on MEMS and I have to say I've been there since March and absolutely love it! If my military spouse is transferred to another state I will be so sad to leave. You can visit their website at metroems.org.
Good luck!!

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Sebastopol has very very good climate, that's why Luther Burbank set up farm there. Not too far from medical care, not too close to the gangbanger express (interstates), and close to ocean without being plagued by fogs and salt. Nor cosmic property values/taxes.
San Luis Obispo or Atascadero (both Calif) look good too.

My aunt and uncle live in Sebastopol and I've spent a lot of time there, wonderful area. Apple Blossom Festival is nice each year. You'd be about 2 hours from San Fran, so jaunts into a bigger city aren't bad. You're also neck deep in Wine country.

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
came across this thread, i too am hoping to relocate so its been really helpful.. and honestly i'm leaning towards NC.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
If I could ever get the wife to move, which will never happen so I am posting for fun!

Alaska, Texas (Starflight Rescue), and North Carolina

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Interesting thread as I was just driving across the county on a three- week camp trip with my dog and checking out every ambulance I passed and wondering about their EMS services :p

Started in Dare County, NC (obx) and ended up back in SF. Detoured through West Virginia, Chicago, Milwaukee (friend's wedding), Minneapolis, Badlands SD, Big Sky MT, Bozeman, Glacier national Park, Washington, Portland and then SF.

I'd have to say out of everywhere Big Sky and Bozeman were my favorite :D Might be trying to relocate around there once I'm done with school.

But OP- disregard the dreamers telling you to go Cali... economy is really tough here, cost of living is HIGH, taxes are HIGH, reimbursements are DOWN and job markets are FLOODED with medics and emts... not the best climate to be job hunting, ESPECIALLY if you're sick of bls! There are jobs but long wait lists and hiring pools to get them. This actually seems like it's top-down from all healthcare and fire positions... entry level nurses and FF1s and 2s can't get jobs so they take EMT and medic positions to bide their time before moving on and up. For example, we have a Nurse Practitioner fresh out of school working as a medic (she was an emt-p before going to NP school) for $15 an hour at my shop because she can't get an entry level NP gig right now... :huh:

Seems to me the best choice would be to get in at another company, get experience and then make a lateral. Texas, South Dakota, North Dakota, West Virginia, Alaska, North Carolina all seem to have better markets now, from what I've heard..... :ph34r: Basically anywhere industrial stuff is booming (oil, natural gas, coal) and they need ems to annex their heavy-duty workers. Also, since you guys are unattached to a house payment/etc... perhaps consider doing a tour abroad for a year or two in Qatar, oilfields, etc to bank up some $$?

Best of luck to you guys!
Cheers,
bean

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I also would consider London, UK, Paris, France and Australia.

Chicago interests me IF I can study improv and sketch at Second City and Improv Olympic

Los Angelas interests me for acting and writing. EMS sucks in California though.