Where to go with EMT-B

KBlackburn

Forum Ride Along
Hey! First post. Yayyyy.
I was just wondering, I just passed the NREMT and of course I'm super excited. But with that being said, EMT-B' is just the beginning. It's a great starting place and it helps us get our feet wet.
So I was wondering, other than advancing to EMT-P (which I plan on doing in the future) are there other classes you take, for example, the W-EMT that would just help to add to the knowledge you can use while being a Basic? Ive small talk about WMD classes and things like that also.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
ICS classes, EKG classes, college level sciences, emergency management classes, "merit badge classes" (ACLS, PALS, ITLS, etc).

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you want formal education, I would suggest college level courses in anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology.

But you can learn a lot on your own, too. Cardiology might be a good thing to focus on, and there are lots of free online resources. Learn the A&P of the cardiovascular system, learn to read EKG's, etc.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you want to move up the career ladder in EMS, college is a must. At least a BS, a masters is better.

If you're looking to use EMS as a stepping stone, then go back to school and start working on the prerequisite classes for your chosen area of study.

If you're just looking for time fillers, the then merit badge classes and ICS.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
If you want to move up the career ladder in EMS, college is a must. At least a BS, a masters is better.

If you're looking to use EMS as a stepping stone, then go back to school and start working on the prerequisite classes for your chosen area of study.

If you're just looking for time fillers, the then merit badge classes and ICS.

What he said, Whats your goals?

If your looking for Con - ed, and merit badges or just resume fillers.

Hazmat Courses
Rescue Courses
EVOC or Ambulance Operator course
PHTLS
ALS Assist
ACLS for the EMT basic

If there is a teaching hospital in your area keep an eye out alot of times they have small courses that last a few hours. Very informative and a few Con Eds.

Last year i took a LVAD information course it was more directed towards docs and RN's but it was pretty cool to see how it works