Where should I work as a new EMT in eastern MA

sfd

Forum Ride Along
Hey everybody!

I recently received my license in MA, and I'm wondering where I should work. I am having a rather difficult time narrowing it down. I really want to work for a company that has 911 contracts as opposed to hospital transports and discharges. Essentially, I would like to get the most experience that I can (not to say that there isn't anything to be learned from transports). From what I gather, I should probably apply for a job at a private ambulance company if I want high call volume (tell me if I'm wrong). I have an in at Fallon because of some connections that I have, and I have been offered a job if I want it. Also, I could probably get a job at Cataldo because I had a few instructors who worked there. Otherwise, Im not too sure about what I should do.

** I will sacrifice a few dollars an hour for 911 experience and an interesting work environment.

Thanks!!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey everybody!

I recently received my license in MA, and I'm wondering where I should work. I am having a rather difficult time narrowing it down. I really want to work for a company that has 911 contracts as opposed to hospital transports and discharges. Essentially, I would like to get the most experience that I can (not to say that there isn't anything to be learned from transports). From what I gather, I should probably apply for a job at a private ambulance company if I want high call volume (tell me if I'm wrong). I have an in at Fallon because of some connections that I have, and I have been offered a job if I want it. Also, I could probably get a job at Cataldo because I had a few instructors who worked there. Otherwise, Im not too sure about what I should do.

** I will sacrifice a few dollars an hour for 911 experience and an interesting work environment.

Thanks!!

It really does not take any connections to start working at fallon or any private in MA really. Anyways Fallon, Brewster, and Cataldo have 911 contracts in eastern MA. AMR also has one in Brockton. I have worked for Brewster and if you are an EMT you will not be a dedicated BLS truck, you will do IFT's with 911 mixed in.

Stamey95

Forum Probie
I work at Armstrong. There is a mix of transfers and 911. If you work at Cataldo I heard the you only do transfers until you have been there a while, then you can get on 911 trucks. If you want a lot of crazy stuff, apply to Trinity. And they are hiring right now. They are in Lowell but I did my 3rd riding and they did a whole lot more 911 than most places. Lots of ODs there too. Fallon is mainly transfers, and everyone I know that worked there hated it and left. Life Line only does transfers. That is all that I know about the places around here. Good luck!

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Cat-Lantic

While its true Cat-Lantic (Cataldo) won't put you in a dedicated 911 shift until you have some seniority. Try to apply and get into there "Somerville" Division. They tend to send BLS to more emergencies than most privates, and its a good mix of IFT and emergencies. Because of their service area, they are constantly pulling trucks to cover Everett,Chelsea, etc. Plus Cataldo will let you pick up shifts in their Atlantic division that has decent 911 bls as well. As far as privates go, they aren't the worse to work for, seem to be on par with the rest of them. You won't be getting rich quick, but that is true about 99% of all privates in the greater Boston area.

I'd avoid Action (mostly run PB trucks, limited BLS 911 trucks). Fallon, seems to be a bit of a revolving door than most places. Lifeline does no 911, but they do run a limo service (if you ever wanted to be an EMT who drove a limo) :rofl:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Hey everybody!

Thanks!!

Which part of Eastern MA?

I got my start at Brewster. While you won't run all transfers all the time (some shifts this is the case), I ran a lot more "emergency" calls when I worked out of the southern bases than when I was in Boston.

When I left the dedicated 911 units were double medic. I'm not sure how long it takes to get "promoted" through Action or Catlantic but I currently work one in Colorado and love it.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Which part of Eastern MA?

I got my start at Brewster. While you won't run all transfers all the time (some shifts this is the case), I ran a lot more "emergency" calls when I worked out of the southern bases than when I was in Boston.

When I left the dedicated 911 units were double medic. I'm not sure how long it takes to get "promoted" through Action or Catlantic but I currently work one in Colorado and love it.

I will second that, the Boston division is constantly running dialysis all day. I was in Quincy for a few weeks and that was about 85% transfers and 15% "emergency". When I moved to my hometown base in Plymouth I was working overnights and we ran about 90% emergency for the town and 10% transfers. It is true that the dedicated 911 ALS trucks are staffed with two paramedics, and don't see them changing that. They will run P/B trucks for some details like motocross. Overall a good place to work with new trucks and equipment.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
Highly recommend Trinity or Cataldo (Somerville division) if you can swing the commute - you'll get as much 911 as you want, even as a new hire with no experience. If you're on the South Shore, I dunno... Seems like most of the 911 there is handled by fire departments, and the few private 911 trucks are staffed by people with decades of experience.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Highly recommend Trinity or Cataldo (Somerville division) if you can swing the commute - you'll get as much 911 as you want, even as a new hire with no experience. If you're on the South Shore, I dunno... Seems like most of the 911 there is handled by fire departments, and the few private 911 trucks are staffed by people with decades of experience.

We had medics with very little exp, on 911 trucks. How many medics with decades of exp still work or want to work for low paying privates?

J B

Forum Lieutenant
We had medics with very little exp, on 911 trucks. How many medics with decades of exp still work or want to work for low paying privates?

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited by a moderator: