When/why do you guys intubate?

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't recommend leaving missed tubes in, as I found out the hard way that the esophagus can hold more than one inflated ET tube, and it could also push upwards on the trachea

Your best bet would be to pull it out and try a different blade or technique.

Personally I always use a bougie because the bougie will stop when it hits the Carina and if your in the gut it'll keep going all the way down. That way you don't have to find out the rough way that you missed.

If you leave the missed tube in it can spray you in the face with blood like it did me.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Who said you take it out? I know guys that will and guys that wont. The ones that wont usually tie it to the side and then drop in another.
Forgive this old guy, but what is everyone talking about vis-a-vis a "missed tube"? If I miss getting it in, I would attempt again providing I haven't wasted a lot of time. Or I'd remove tube, bag, and try again. Why would I leave a tube in, or tie it off to the side, etc., and try another tube?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Forgive this old guy, but what is everyone talking about vis-a-vis a "missed tube"? If I miss getting it in, I would attempt again providing I haven't wasted a lot of time. Or I'd remove tube, bag, and try again. Why would I leave a tube in, or tie it off to the side, etc., and try another tube?
If you miss and the airway is a mess/filled with nastiness the thought this the tube in the esophagus will redirect some of that nastiness away and plug the hole, making it so you can only intubate the trachea. Maybe.