Wheeled Coach

eric2068

Forum Crew Member
My baby is a 2003 E-450 Wheeled Coach Type 3, and I love my baby. She's got 147,000 miles on her, and she runs like a scalded dog. She rides smooth in the back, and comfy in the front. I ridden in Collins, Osage, Lifeline, Mccoy Miller (the worst),AEV (second worst), Horton, and I have to say, Wheeld Coach is the best.

chadwick

Forum Crew Member
Well...

I work out of 5 different Wheeled Coach Ambulances at one job and 4 Osage and 3 Taylor Made at my other job. We have minor problems out of the Osage and Wheeled Coach units but nothing too bad, most of them are pushing 200-250,000 miles. EC 1 (WC) is the newest and when I started it literally had 5000 miles on it. Taylor Made is by far the worst ambulance manufacturer that I have ever had to deal with. All of them have leaks around the back doors, the roof in the cab squeeks extremely loud in two of them, the bulbs blow all the time, one of them coasts down hill faster than it will run with the pedal on the floor. Everytime they make one of them an ALS truck, the monitor overloads it and the entire truck goes nuts. We are hoping to get the money together for a couple of Osage boxes this year so we can upgrade our aging fleet.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
If it ain't North Star/Braun it ain't no good. Also I cant stand rigs built on a van frame. Ford F-350/Chevy 3500s are the only way to go. But that's just my (not so) humble opinion.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Just checking because the curb side door was "broken" on one of my ambulances on Tuesday. By chance, is the child's lock on?

Child lock? On an ambulance?!? I can see it now:
Ambulance Mfg. Companys to install child lock on ambulance doors after psyco EMT tries to jump out on highway.

tydek07

Forum Captain
The company I work for uses Osage. We have always had Fords, but just recently switched over to Chevy :D Got our first Chevy yesterday!! Waahoo, I am excited... the interior of the cab is nice and really comfortable. I just cannot wait until we get more of the Chevy's to work in...

But yah, we use Osage. There doesnt seem to be many problems, nothing major anyway, with the Osage Ambulance. Minor electrical problems are about as bad as things get.

Take Care,

emt9577

Forum Probie
wheeled coach.

The service I work for in the last 2 years has bought 80 of the type II stock series crusader. With 70 of them being fords, and 10 being chevys. We have had really good luck with wheeled coach. The crews like them, granted the could use a little more room in the back, and the chevys could use more room up front. The fords have had the normal 6.0 problems, and the chevys are having constant emissions problems, ranging from DPF filters to Plugged up intake manifolds and turbos being full of carbon. Other than that its just been minor things that wheeled coach took care of promptly. We had one of our 2006 wheeled coach crusaders involved in a roll-over, driver fell asleep at the wheel, and everybody managed to walk away. The medic who was sleeping on the cot went and got checked out, and was ok. The truck itself held up remarkably well. I would reccommend wheeled coach to anyone looking for a decent cost -effective ambulance. Sure they arent all custom trucks, but they get the job done, and for a fleet that has expanded as much as ours has in the last 3 years, and they have held up to our abuse.

emt9577

Forum Probie
Wheeled coaches are pretty decent rigs. They arent a top of the line custom truck, but they do get the job done. We operate almost 90 Wheeled Coach Type II that are no older than 3 years that are pretty reliable. Sure they do ahve problems with the FORD side meaniong the motors. But other than that they are pretty reliable. I havent had any major electrical problems, a couple minor issues with the veneer on the cabinets cracking, and plastic panels cracking after very rough abuse. We actually had one of the roll over about 7 months ago, with the medic asleep on the cot with no major injuries to the crew. The driver fell asleep at the wheel. The truck was totaled, however the back was still intact. The front left floorboard was pushed up by the front left tire on impact. And also both A posts were severely deformed. But everyone survived. I personally like them. Now if only they still came with the 7.3 and not the 6.0

emtfarva

Forum Captain
AEV, Horton and Leader is the same company.