Wheeled Coach

Cardiac12030

Forum Ride Along
Could anyone tell me what they think of the Wheeled Coach Ambulance. Good or bad?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've used Wheeled Coach Crusaders (type 2s), custom series type 3s, and Citimedic type 3s. Personally, I don't think they stand up to abuse too well. It could be that they were given more abuse than one could reasonably expect units to put up with (low moral, high call volume). I also want to slap with a wet noodle who ever got the bright idea that the on/off swith for the HVAC system in the back should only be up front instead of front and back.

OP
OP
Cardiac12030

Cardiac12030

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Thanks for the input. You could not have summed it up better. I have used older WC and didn't like them. We currently use Road Rescue and I think that they make a very nice rig. We shall see how the bean counter's proceed.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
imnsho, they are the worst product in the market. they are poorly designed, dont hold up to the rigors of daily use, and have extremely poor functionality.

then again, im not a fan of any of the cookie cutter trucks. aev, roach coach, those crestline abominations used up in canada, mctoys. theyre all crap.

if it doesnt say horton, keep it. i can deal with braun too.

JPINFV

Gadfly
imnsho, they are the worst product in the market. they are poorly designed, dont hold up to the rigors of daily use, and have extremely poor functionality.

then again, im not a fan of any of the cookie cutter trucks. aev, roach coach, those crestline abominations used up in canada, mctoys. theyre all crap.

if it doesnt say horton, keep it. i can deal with braun too.

Have you had a chance to work with Leader brand ambulances?

Oh, and Horton? One of the best units at my old company was a Horton type 3 with over 300k miles on it. It was a sad day when they retired it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Horton, Braun, or Eurocopter.................My personal favorites.

Currently stuck with a POS Frazer. If one is available, I'll usually transport by SUV before I use the ambulance. Easier to maneuver on these narrow and winding roads, plus it gives a better ride.

reaper

Working Bum
It is all personal preference. I will take a Frazer over a POS Horton, any day!

FF894

Forum Captain
Horton? Are you guys crazy? Having worked in 3 over there years and knowing of others in the area, they have all had significant and consistent electical problems. The interiors dont last worth a damn. The HVAC system has yet to work correctly. The cabinityr is cheap and has had to be replaced more times than I can count. No good. Also worked in a few Osages- so far so good, but the designs are less than desirable. Interior is not exactly user friendly.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
We've had no problems with our Horton box. The POS 6.0 liter pushing the thing, however, has been nothing but a nightmare. Our next bus may be Horton, may be Braun, but it WILL NOT be a 6.0 liter. Nor will it be one of these ridiculous Sprinters I've been seeing flitting around town with the transport companies. Gah. What kind of abomination is THAT?

Later!

--Coop

firemedickyle

Forum Ride Along
Our service has used Wheeled Coach for the past 10-12 years, until recently we switched to Osage Ambulance Inc. One reason of many we switched was because the sales rep didn't seem interesed in serving our service. He wouldn't ever return the bosses phone calls etc.......

My experience with the boxes is as follows:
HVAC systems constantly experiencing problems - There either not cooling or heating, whatever the season my be.

Wiring issues with light bars and overhead lights in the box.

I would go with Wheeled Coach again.... I have only dealt with Osage and Wheeled Coach.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Reaper: You sure? According to the literature I have on the 2009 chassis, the 6.0 is the only diesel listed in the E-series.

Later!

--Coop

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
We've used Leader ambulances exclusively for the last 20 or so years, but now that we're (finally) moving on to Type III ambulances, we just received our first Wheeled Coach (on a Chevy chasis, so we don't have to deal with the absolute POS Ford engine). Not much to say about it yet, but it looks like a good product.
LAFD uses Wheeled Coach exclusively (hundreds of rigs) and I haven't heard any complaints from them, so it can't be that bad lol.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
your logic is flawed. lafd is a huge dept. huge depts need to do everything on the cheap. they dont get to buy high end top quality units, since they do need hundreds. to see what quality products are being used, you would look towards the smaller depts that can afford to build the best fleet.

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant

Imho, Crestlines are the Cadillac of modern ambulances. Have you worked on one?

reaper

Working Bum
Reaper: You sure? According to the literature I have on the 2009 chassis, the 6.0 is the only diesel listed in the E-series.

Later!

--Coop

OK, you are using the E-series. I know all F-series have switched to the 6.4L. They may still have the 6.0L in some of the E-series!

FF894

Forum Captain
Was just advised that the rear door handle fell off one of the Horton's... Can only open from inside.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
We have one truck that only opens from the outside. You have to open the vent window, slide the screen up and slip your hand out to open it. Or just be like me and ambulate throught he curbside door.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just checking because the curb side door was "broken" on one of my ambulances on Tuesday. By chance, is the child's lock on?

FF894

Forum Captain
Nope - door handle literally fell off on highway :unsure: and there is now a hole. The doors constantly have issues not closing right or really difficult to open, especially this time of year when salt and sand get in there.