Wheelchair van or hospital work?

OREMT

Forum Probie
Short-time lurker, first time poster.

Recently I both completed my EMT certification and moved to a new state (Oregon). Two weeks ago I began a job as a wheelchair van driver for a small private company. A few days ago I also heard back from another job that I had applied for, as a monitor tech (telemetry) in a hospital. I'm going to interview with them next week.

Here's my question: If my interview goes well and I am offered the job, should I take it? On the one hand, as a wheelchair van driver I am getting experience learning the area, and I work for a good company. On the other hand, I would be taking vitals often at the hospital and getting experience reading ECGs.

I'd like to one day be a paramedic. Which job seems like it would give me the better step towards that direction?

By the way, the local ambulance service isn't currently hiring for BLS or IFT; otherwise, I'd definitely go that way.

Thanks in advance for your input.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I worked telemetry part-time on weekends while also working as a paramedic. MUCH better job IMO (vs wheel chair van). If you are going on to be a paramedic I would take the the tele tech job, it probably pays better and you can learn some really interesting clinical knowledge if your co-workers are cool

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
On the other hand, I drove a wheelchair van when I first started at a BLS agency and as extra shifts when I was in Medic School. (I was getting paid EMT overtime pay, so it was pretty nice) When starting out it really helped me learn the area and later on it was truly great solitude. I wasn't particularly busy so hiding out in a park and studying was pretty nice. Also, I never had to argue with my partner over which radio station to listen to. :)

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
I drove a wheelchair van for almost 2 years and through emt school as soon as I got my emt they moved me to a truck. As a non Emt it was great for the fact that you had face sheets on the patients as well as learning about medical conditions from them. I think telemetry would be better as your getting vitals and learning EKG which will help you in paramedic school

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Op, while I personally have never had the chance to drive a wheelchair van, I think it's a great learning opportunity.

Aside from the above mentioned posts, this gives you a working knowledge of your response area, how to get to and from residences, hospitals, clinics, etc. How to utilize whatever mapping guides or devices it is your service uses.

You mentioned in your post that you wished to one day go to paramedic school, which means you will work in, and around a paramedic or two. I cannot tell you how invaluable it is in my opinion to have this important skill set aside from the above stated EMT skills (also priceless in the eyes of ANY paramedic worth their while who knows that they, too,are still an EMT). To know how to get to and from where your partner needs you to go without having to have them look over your shoulder, map you while on the way to a hospital, or remind you that slow and steady often wins the race, and that a smooth safe ride is much more worthwhile and valued than flying down the road to get to and from your patient(s).

These folks work hard for their money, and also provide a service that is very much needed and overlooked. I hope this helps some.

I worked telemetry part-time on weekends while also working as a paramedic. MUCH better job IMO (vs wheel chair van). If you are going on to be a paramedic I would take the the tele tech job, it probably pays better and you can learn some really interesting clinical knowledge if your co-workers are cool

OP
OP
OREMT

OREMT

Forum Probie
Great insight thus far everyone. Thank you.

DEmedic, I hadn't yet considered the fact that I'm going to need some extra study time here soon, which the downtime on the wheelchair van definitely affords. I also really do value the driving and route mapping experience I'm putting in right now. When I don't have anyone on board I practice backing into spaces like a boss.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
They've pointed out the basics.

A few more things to consider. Work shifts and "out on time." Salary. Education benefits... does the hospital co-pay for medical, college and paramedical courses? Some do...

Your wheelchair vans must be different than my former service's ones. In order to be cost-effective they had to be moving, and were aggressively out there.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Great insight thus far everyone. Thank you.

DEmedic, I hadn't yet considered the fact that I'm going to need some extra study time here soon, which the downtime on the wheelchair van definitely affords. I also really do value the driving and route mapping experience I'm putting in right now. When I don't have anyone on board I practice backing into spaces like a boss.
I sat in a small room and stared at 100 ECGs on a wall of TVs, lots of down time to study in my tele department. Depends if they have you only do tele

Parameduck

Forum Crew Member
At my last job a lot of people started on wheel chairs before getting on a bls rig. Sometimes it only took a few months.

OP
OP
OREMT

OREMT

Forum Probie
My work load on the van varies. Sometimes I make runs non-stop all day, and about one or twice a week I get a long distance appointment that leaves me posted up for a couple of hours. Salaries are about the same. I'm definitely going to find out more about possible educational opportunities though.

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Id recommend doing telemetry, a bunch of cool stuff you get to see in the ICU/PCU. You basically get a foot in the door at the hospital. I work telemetry and managed to get a job in the ER as a tech because I just got my AEMT. Wheel chair van driving won't give you much experience in doing medic stuff. But you will in telemetry, it is a big learning opportunity. All I do at work is studying my patients 12 leads and how it relates to why they are in the ICU. Pretty cool stuff.

Parameduck

Forum Crew Member
If you're looking at doing wheel chair vans for Metro in Eugene it's a good opportunity and most end up on medics eventually, I used to work there! You can put an ekg on all your patients too once you're on a medic. In the ER you will see more critical patients but last time I checked er techs didn't do a whole lot in Eugene, including up to the paramedic level because of the nursing union putting restrictions on them to protect their jobs. If you're not in the er it probably won't be that exciting. Feel both out. Maybe do one part time. Good luck!