whats the best way to find a job at ambulance service

john76

Forum Probie
iam an emt-b in missouri i got my license in april and iam having trouble finding a job in my area has anyone else had this problem and what should i do about it?what is the best way to approach ambulance services about jobs?i have put in applications at 6 different bases and keep hearing the same thing eiather they are not hiring or they will contact me in a couple of weeks.i have called some of them every week since i put in my application and still nothing.i have interviewed&taken&passed my drug test at one company already but still no job the director has to wait for the corporate office to contact him before he can hire anyone.any advice on any thing i should do different.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Get to know crew members at the various services. If people know you then they might drop your name and get you hired. Sadly EMS is way to often about who you know not what you know.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Become a medic.

medic417

The Truth Provider

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
I hope your job application doesn't look like this

iam an emt-b in missouri i got my license in april and iam having trouble finding a job in my area has anyone else had this problem and what should i do about it?what is the best way to approach ambulance services about jobs?i have put in applications at 6 different bases and keep hearing the same thing eiather they are not hiring or they will contact me in a couple of weeks.i have called some of them every week since i put in my application and still nothing.i have interviewed&taken&passed my drug test at one company already but still no job the director has to wait for the corporate office to contact him before he can hire anyone.any advice on any thing i should do different.

i hope your pt care report looks like this

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
i hope your pt care report looks like this
Seriously, I want to find the person that taught him to write and smack the crap out of them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Seriously, I want to find the person that taught him to write and smack the crap out of them.

Somehow I think you'll find that that person doesn't exist :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That doesn't make much of difference anymore here in CA

A lot of people seem to like CA and move there, so you guys seem to have a high percentage of out of work EMS personnel.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
True story its hard to get a EMT job in CA especially in San Diego. Every ambulance company gets atleast 100 app's a month.

That is discouraging, after 3 years of biology and gen ed classes, I decided I want to be a paramedic, so I start my first EMT course at Otay Mesa this summer. We can't even go for paramedic until a year as EMT. At least that is what I have been told.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
That is discouraging, after 3 years of biology and gen ed classes, I decided I want to be a paramedic, so I start my first EMT course at Otay Mesa this summer. We can't even go for paramedic until a year as EMT. At least that is what I have been told.

Yes that is true, you have to get so many hours on BLS before you can be a Medic or even go to medic school for that matter. Thats what i was told from a lot of medics i have done ride alongs with.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
And why is that a bad thing? Figure out if you even actually like the field before spending a lot of time, money and headache becoming a paramedic.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain

Thats not true for every school. You could apply and go to NCTI (AMRs school) which has no minimum time required in a BLS rig.

terrible one

Always wandering
Thats not true for every school. You could apply and go to NCTI (AMRs school) which has no minimum time required in a BLS rig.

Do a search on NCTI before commiting to them. Atleast in socal their schools are less than reputable

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
And why is that a bad thing? Figure out if you even actually like the field before spending a lot of time, money and headache becoming a paramedic.

Not saying being an EMT is a bad thing, rather lack of EMT jobs is a bad thing as that will make getting into paramedic school difficult.