Whats involved with EMT courses?

74restore

Forum Crew Member
Didnt find my answer searching the forums so here goes:

This is my first post
I will be taking an EMT Basic course next summer, and just had a few questions:

What exactly is the process of teaching emergency medicine in the class?
I have read many different website talking about the skills I will learn, however nothing about simple things like "When do I learn to drive and operate the ambulance?" etc. Anyone have a week by week synopsis of how their classes played out?

What was the most difficult part of the course for you all? opinions?

Thanks!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Week 1: legal info
Week 2: Medical terms
Week 3-18: a mix of skills and medical/trauma. Starting with the basics and then going more in depth as the weeks progressed.

Learning to drive the ambulance: orientation with my ambulance company.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

This is my first post

I have read many different website talking about the skills I will learn, however nothing about simple things like "When do I learn to drive and operate the ambulance?" etc. Anyone have a week by week synopsis of how their classes played out?

Thanks!

You never learn to drive in an EMT class. Way too much liability. You learn basic operations such as where to position your unit on MVAs and what not but that's about it.

The way my basic class was setup was Mondays were usually lecture from 5-10, Wednesdays were usually lab days from 5-10 running scenarios, practicing skills and what not and the random Saturday throughout the semester were a combination of both lab and lecture.

EMT-B is not a hard class whatsoever. The most difficult thing I have run into in B and I was not throwing things at certain classmates when they constantly asked ridiculous questions, derailed the lecture or were rude to instructors. Medic school is a whole different story though.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
In Florida, driving is taught in a separate EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator Course) class. It's a 2-day deal hosted by fire academies and the like.

But knowing what you'll be learning ahead of time isn't going to help you, unless you can get a hold of the textbook and just start studying (though this shouldn't be necessary if your school's program is any good).

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
But knowing what you'll be learning ahead of time isn't going to help you, unless you can get a hold of the textbook and just start studying (though this shouldn't be necessary if your school's program is any good).

Get hold of a good, college level Anatomy and Physiology textbook. Start studying from that before the class.

nwhitney

Forum Captain

This is my first post

Thanks!

First off I think the class was fun and like others have said it is easy.

For my class we had lecture on Tues. and lab on Thurs. We started with CPR, history of EMS, legal considerations, well being of the EMT, VERY basic anatomy and then got into assessments, airway, and pharmacology.

Some things you can do to help prepare is to know some anatomy, be able to trace a drop of blood through the cardiovascular system. If you can, get a hold of the skill sheets for medical & trauma assessments. You probably won't understand it and that's okay. Just look through it to become familiar with terms and the order of things. It will make sense as you get further into the course.

I help in the lab portion at the school I went to and most of the students seem to struggle with trauma & medical assessments the most. The successful students are the ones that not only know the order of things but the why's.

If you're anything like me once you get going you'll quickly realize just how much you don't know.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator: