Whats in your bag??

creative_soul

Forum Crew Member
Just wondering what every EMT should have in their bag and why for any of the not so obvious items. Thanks! :)

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends... are you talking about a backpack-type deal where an EMT or Medic carries a few esential supplies to work? Then it is simple. Change of uniform, scope, water, laptop, and snackage...

If you are talking about creating your own personal trauma/jump bag for your vehicle or other off-duty situations... :rolleyes: To quote daedalus, "Never fails... every week!" LOL...

Personal Jump Bags
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=12689

Personal Bag?
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=12133

What do you all have on your personal vehicles
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=783

Why would someone, who is on the job, have a
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=12456

AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE… Are You Prepared or just a Whacker?
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=12323

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Im over it. I dont even mind anymore. I come here out of my own free will so I really should not complain.

OP, I have a backpack that I take to work with some advil, socks, undies, wipes, phone charger, and a few issues of the Journal of The American Family Physician along with my clipboard and stethoscope.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My bag has my laptop, air card, book, CE material, textbook, clipboard, snacks, cell charger

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Spare clothes, laptop, steth, raincoat (I prefer to have my own - I'm a big guy, sometimes the rig raingear is nasty, and Galls had it on sale for practically nothing), and, depending on the weather, a jacket. And whatever odds and ends happen to find their way in there.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Paramedic Text Book
AMLS Text Book
Folder with paperwork and various class handouts I reference often
Laptop with charger
Bluetooth mouse
2 USB cables (one for my external harddrive and the other for internet tethering with my phone)
1 Notebook
Eyedrops
Excedrine Migraine
Pens, sharpe, and highlighters
spare set of contacts and my spare glasses
spare set of socks and underwear
sometimes a personal book
my drug notecards
and sometimes my headphones.

edit: My AMLS books is interchangeable, I either have it or my A&P books. I usually keep my study guides in the car unless I have a couple days off then I take them inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
These all float back and forth between my bag and locker:

My old basic textbook
Random other current textbooks
Water
Snacks
Candy
Spare glasses
Ginger
Tea
Headphones
Sleeping bag
Spare uniform
Spare socks & underwear
Hairbrush
Hair ties
Laptop & charger
Shower stuff

JPINFV

Gadfly
DVD player and assorted movies.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh it's not what is in my bag you should be concerned about rather what's in my dark panel van with tinted windows i am taking you to on the stretcher ... or y'know attracting you too with candy :p

OK that sounded reeeeeeeally bad and probably won't have the same effect I wanted it too ....

Anyway in my bag I have my lunch, stethoscope, maybe a book or two to read if it's quiet and that's about it. My textbook are like 20lb probably so I dislike carrying 'em around.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh it's not what is in my bag you should be concerned about rather what's in my dark panel van with tinted windows i am taking you to on the stretcher

"Can I help you find your lost puppy, mister?" :unsure:

Sasha

Forum Chief
CURRENTLY there is my scope, pen light, shears and there's an O2 key attached to the zipper, yes it's pink. my car charger, GPS, Critical Care Pocket Guide from INFORmed, extra hairties, $80 and a resealable bag of cheezits and a bag of sour patches I didn't get into yet.

However, I'm curious as to why a couple people take underwear with them to work...

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
In the bag that goes in the rig:
Clipboard
4 cell Maglite
Assorted reference materials
my scope
contact lens solution, and an extra contact case
eye drops
assorted OTC meds
gum
female supplies
inverter
nail file
eye protection
laptop
aircard
external harddrive with movies
textbooks

In a bag that stays in my car:
shower kit
underwear
undershirts
socks
Wisps
deodorant
sleep mask

I also have a pillow and blanket that live in my car, and occasionally take a vacation on the rig

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Sasha, I am incontinent at work.
:p

No, all joking aside, there is nothing better than clean socks and undies after a shower at work to make you feel better after a long shift. Fresh!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, since this has turned into another "in my personal bag" thread...

BP cuff, otoscope (with insufflator bulb) , opthalmoscope, pocket eye chart, reflex hammer, 2 tuning forks, stethoscope, pen light, and extra batteries.