What unusual medications have you given/seen given during a code?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
CaCl is uncommon?

Reactions: NPO

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Maybe he's used to seeing gluconate and no chloride?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I would venture to guess any electrolyte given in excess is hardly benign.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A gram of CaCl is pretty safe. I've used it in the OR with great success for hypotension that is refractory to pretty much everything else. I don't know about using it during arrest, though. It used to be standard ACLS but I haven't seen it used during CPR in a long time.

My thinking is that just like so many other things that have been daily practice in anesthesia for decades ("push dose" pressors, ketamine, intubating on long-acting NMB's, etc.) but were just recently "discovered" by ED and ICU folks, giving some calcium post-arrest or for otherwise refractory hypotension might someday be a pretty routine thing.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We tend to use calcium in dialysis arrests, but that's the extent of it for daily uses except some very unusual calls or CCB overdoses

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
An empiric whack of calcium is de rigueur for coming off of the bypass pump. Almost a rabbits foot. Definitely improves contractility after a bunch of banked blood products (citrate preservative binding of free calcium). Good for dilutional hypocalcemia too. All that being said, the effect is transient and IME, it doesn't do what a slug of epi wouldn't MOST times. Your results may vary.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know about using it during arrest, though. It used to be standard ACLS but I haven't seen it used during CPR in a long time.

ACLS says "Studies of calcium during cardiac arrest have found variable results on ROSC, and no trial has found a beneficial effect on survival either in or out of hospital. Routine administration of calcium for treatment of in-hospital and out-of-hospital cardiac arrest is not recommended. (Class III, LOE B)"

The most recent study they cite is from 1998, though...so, you know, science progresses?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
ACLS says "Studies of calcium during cardiac arrest have found variable results on ROSC, and no trial has found a beneficial effect on survival either in or out of hospital. Routine administration of calcium for treatment of in-hospital and out-of-hospital cardiac arrest is not recommended. (Class III, LOE B)"
The most recent study they cite is from 1998, though...so, you know, science progresses?

I don't think it works well in an ischemic heart. If the reason for the fall in contractility is something other than ischemia, you'll see some response with calcium, in my experience.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
We give Calcium Chloride in dialysis arrests. Other than that, and dual sequential defibrillation, our arrest protocol is pretty standard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We're adding esmolol for refractory VF with a consult with our Medical Director. Depending on the results it may become a standing order or may get scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk