What type of education does an EMT/Paramedic have?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Just a little technical question. Most programs dont provide a college degree.

But what education would you consider this? Trade school? Vocational school?
Would you consider this a college education, since alot, if not most of these programs are taught at a college? Some even giving you a degree.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
For the majority of programs, it is trade or vocational education. There is a shift towards college education with programs now being required to be affiliated with a college or university, though some programs are somehow getting around this. Not sure how but they are. With some programs Even though it is through a college, when you finish you do not get a degree. Some have degree options but from what I understand many do not put in the extra time to get it as they will get the same cert as someone who doesnt.

I believe there are 2 or 3 states that require an AAS paramedic degree or Medic training and having some other degree. I would love to see this become the minimum standard for medics across the USA.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just a little technical question. Most programs dont provide a college degree.

But what education would you consider this? Trade school? Vocational school?
Would you consider this a college education, since alot, if not most of these programs are taught at a college? Some even giving you a degree.

I wouldn't consider EMT, even if at a community college, a "college education." For paramedic, if it's just the technical side with very little foundational education then I wouldn't consider it a college education either. Also, ideally, a college education has a certain amount of breadth course requirements (courses outside of the major) that I don't see many college based paramedic programs requiring.

Also, some colleges host programs, but the programs aren't really a part of the host university. [gets on uppity elitist soap box] A paramedic at the UCLA paramedic program is not UCLA student or UCLA alumni, if for nothing else the only thing in common between everything else at UCLA and the paramedic program is who owns the property. [/soapbox]

Also, to clarify my stance. I completed a masters program at Tufts University School of Medicine. I have no problem saying that I have a MS from Tufts. I will never say that I "graduated from Tufts School of Medicine" because the connotation of that phrase means I graduated with an MD from Tufts.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah. Some paramedic programs in CA usually require college education.
You need so and so college credits, general education, all your English, Math, Science, A&P, so on.

that, as well as work experience. Unless its a private school, then all you need is a check that works.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Very little. Seems like most are high school graduates with some or no college.

JPINFV

Gadfly
High school level algebra is not a "college level course," nor is Hooked on Phonics intro to reading, nor is a med calc class (yes... I'm being pedantic and elitist here, there's enough watered down in paramedicine as it is without dragging the rest of higher education with it). The basics of med calc (dimensional analysis) was taught in like 30 minutes in the general chemistry course at my undergrad.

Link to programs that require a foundational science course that isn't anatomy and physiology (and preferably not an "A&P for paramedics" course? Preferably more than 1

Also, to note, the Loma Linda BS in Paramedicine degree program is not a paramedic program (it is not a pathway to licensure), but a general education course. I'm not saying it isn't good or beneficial, just that it doesn't fall under the topic of this thread.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Ivy Tech in the Indianapolis area offers an associate's degree in Paramedic Science. However, in Indiana no "degree" is required. The EMT class that Ivy Tech offers can be taken by itself, without attending any other classes. You do have to "apply" and "be accepted" to Ivy Tech to do the EMT class, which does involve some entrance 'testing' if you haven't done an ACT or SAT in the past couple years. I had my entrance testing waived (despite my ACT being 20 years ago) because I do have 2 full years of university level classes completed, though no college degree.

Here in Indiana, the large hospitals (Community and St. Vincent, as two examples) offer their own in-house EMT and Paramedic programs, you don't have to go through an educational institution at all to become an EMT or a Paramedic.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Most have said that EMS is mostly vo-tech. Most degrees in EMS are in the form of AAS, which is an applied/technical "degree" that sits apart from collegiate education in general. Thus it is not recognized as a degree outside of the specific field that the technical degree the AAS is in and the accompanying certifications hold more water except where required. AAS curriculum is usually a vo-tech curriculum in a community college setting. For example, the local college, in addition to an AAS in EMS, offers AAS in ski area operations, medical assisting, sustainable cuisine, welding, and solar-thermal installation.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I received college credit for my EMT class, however I would never call it a college class. It's in the college course guide, but let's be honest here and admit that there is little comparison between an EMT class and any college class.

Education entails more than a single training course.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
http://www.naemt.org/about_ems/degreeprograms.aspx

Not mandatory in all states, education minimum standards vary wildly from state to state and even county to county. One such example is a program in Texas which is 600 hour in length vs Seattle's 3000+ hour program. It really depends on your location and specific program/institution.

Every state I am aware of offers it as an AAS option, many younger medics choose this but not everyone. I believe the minimum for NREMT is 1100+ clock hours from a CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education ) accredited institution.

Above you will also find a link to over 20 universities which offer undergraduate and above for Paramedic and EMS.