What TV show spurred you to join EMS?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

18G

Paramedic
Rescue 911 when I was 9 or 10 had a really strong impact. I loved that show!

MochaRaf

Forum Crew Member
I don't base my career choices on television.

Tell me about it... I just got done watching Armageddon, so now I gotta go apply at NASA for their astronaut program! But at least it is a nice change from 28 days later, I was getting tired of being a zombie. Lol...

On a more serious note, I was mostly inspired by my family members... My father is a neurosurgeon who used to fly for the German Air Rescue (Deutsche rettungsflugwacht) as a flight surgeon. My uncle has been an Emergency Physician (Notarzt) in Augsburg before I was even born, so when I was a kid I got to ride along with him a few times and experience the rush first hand... And after we moved to the states, my older brother joined the Fire Department and became an EMT-D at the age of 16 in the state of New Jersey... So naturally I followed his footsteps and joined our local first aid squad as a Jr. Member in 2001.

Now that I actually think about it, pretty much all of my cousins over the age of 18 are somehow involved in the medical field... One of my cousins just graduated from FAU medical school, and I have two more cousins in medical school in Germany.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Rescue 911 when I was 9 or 10 had a really strong impact. I loved that show!

I still humm the theme song

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I've thought about EMS for a long time, but what spurred it again (combined with distaste for my current job) was watching 'The Listener'. (Canadian show that aired 5 eps on NBC back in '09. Still on the air here, in it's third season.)

The show doesn't center on his paramedic career, but it does feature it quite a bit. It got me thinking, which got me researching, which got me applying, which got me studying!

Here's to you, CTV. Hahahaha.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
EMERGENCY theme song

Wasn't written by Bobby Troupe, the jazz musician who played the older doctor and was in fact married to the actress who played "Dixie" the nurse. It was by Nelson Riddle.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Wasn't written by Bobby Troupe, the jazz musician who played the older doctor and was in fact married to the actress who played "Dixie" the nurse. It was by Nelson Riddle.

Julie London (Dixie) was also Jack Webb's ex wife, he one of the guys who produced the pilot.

If you go back and watch some of the older Dragnet shows you will see a bunch of folks from Adam -12 and Emergency who were part of Webb's stable of regulars for that show. Hollywood really is a small place sometimes.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
Holy cow. Even I was in 7th grade.

Man i was in 5th... I thought i was one of the yougest members here. Dang... Well i had tv land as a kid so i whatched Emergency alot as well as rescue 911 but i graduated with a certification for collision repair and paint and refinshing "i wanted to build custom cars" i found i didnt have patience for people that have owned a car for 10 years and never changed the oil and wondered why the engine blew. Then i whatched a horrific car wreck happen right in front of me at 15 and had to help land a chopper for 2 children 1 of which i found didnt make it i joind the fd 2 days later and now im 20 a ff/EMT-IV....:D But when i work an MVA i still think anout those kids and wish i could have done more.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Thank heavens no one cited "Scrubs" or "House, MD".

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
What got me interested was watching the live broadcast of 9/11 in 4th grade (I think it was 4th).

More or less why I became interested. Only I know for sure it was 4th grade. Now 20 and loving the job. However, my ultimate goal is med school.

My father had EMT 20 years ago, didn't pursue it and joined the Navy instead. My great grandfather however was an oncologist. Otherwise there is nothing running in my family.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
I recall my mom watching Strong Medicine when I was young, and I have always found medicine to be interesting. I am 20 years old, so I was not around when Emergency was on the air, but I have always admired people who could make a difference. During High School, I watched House MD a lot and decided at that point that my life was going to be in the medical field, and after considering a few personal experiences (which are rather interesting, if you ask me, and if you want to know them , just PM me and ask), I decided EMS!

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant

House MD interested me and solidified my ideas of going into the medical field but it was not an inspiration lol

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

Uhh.. Whats wrong with scrubs o.o that's what I was gonna say inspired me... Lol

On a serious note, I alerts love medicine since my mom was a doctor in a third world country, and ems is the only place where you still get 1 on 1 patient care, everyone else you have like 6-50 patients at once. Cant really make as big of an impact one on one anywhere else, even if we do spend the shortest amount of time with a patient.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Trauma, duh.
:p