What to review when EMT-B class is over?

Cody62696

Forum Ride Along
Hello!

I just got out of EMT-B class and I passed the NREMT EXAM! I am close to the psychomotor exam which means I am getting close to applying. The problem is that now class is over, i am not sure what to study anymore so it is getting overwhelming. I do not know what to expect on the job and am a little nervous because I am not sure what I will absolutely need to remember on the job. Personally, I'd rather remember everything but it doesn't work like that. Any idea what to do to prepare for the job?
Thanks!

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Confused...I would have thought the psychmotor was taken BEFORE the NREMT. My course we did our final exam in front of a doctor and panel of instructors next day did our psychomoter exam THEN got the permission to test letter THEN we could apply to take the NREMT exam.

OP
OP
C

Cody62696

Forum Ride Along
It was either/or for us! I took it right away!

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Maybe contact your instructor and see what they suggest? There's also a link on the NREMT site. I didn't take this test, but for my skills test I just went over every skill I learned. Try and do some scenarios, NOT crazy ones, but ones you may have had in class or practiced with. Like ones that uses the BVM, OPA/NPA, splinting, back boarding, drug admin, etc.

JDough

Forum Ride Along
When I went through the best station to practice is trauma.a lot of folks stumble over this one. and then the simple ones like bleeding control/splinting just so you don't screw up and feel silly(I speak from experience). And doses are important in the medical station. Good luck!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
EMT courses are taken as an individual, but most places in the real world work in teams. Pass your test, then relax in the real world. They know you're new and they'll make sure someone else knows what to do and you will be there to assist and begin your real training. Most of it will come back to you immediately.

paemtstan

Forum Ride Along
I just finished class in the end of March. Depending on the state you work in the only thing I would say to really study hard is your state protocols. In Pennsylvania at least they differ some from nremt protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say G

Forum Crew Member
For anybody with the same question that's looking at this thread.

The best area to focus on is patient assessment and the symptoms to things such as shock (all types), CVA, and how to stop bleeding. These seem to be the scenarios that are more common than others. Patient assessment will come with time because being able to ask the right questions that stray from SAMPLE or OPQRST is all trial and error but the rest should be memorized so that when panic kicks in, you won't feel lost.

Just my 2 cents from having that same question a few months ago.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
What's in your EMT book? You might not be interpreting 12 leads or giving certain meds, but if you work with a medic partner you will be expected to be able to assist with those treatments. Usually good to understand what's going on to know what to anticipate. Your protocols will help steer your decision making, back it up with some good A&P knowledge so you know why you are doing what you are doing. So basically, don't quit reading just because you are done with class, you ain't done learning yet.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess I'm missing a critical wrinkle in your post. You say you're nearing the date to take your practical exam and you want to know what to study. Why isn't the answer to that question your skill station sheets and associated reference materials?

S h o O o b i e

Forum Ride Along
Study your protocols for the county you are working in, ALS drugs you carry on your rig, start to learn ekg 4 and 12 leads, always review the basics and never stop learning.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I fail to see the logic in recommending an EMT Basic candidate(candidate being the operative word) study als procedures and assessments/interventions in preparation for taking the BLS psychomotor exam; but hey, what do I know.

Now, I'm not saying one should never study this material, but perhaps one should wait until after they have achieved BLS certification before filling their head with protocols outside their scope.

grapp

Forum Ride Along
I fail to see the logic in recommending an EMT Basic candidate(candidate being the operative word) study als procedures and assessments/interventions in preparation for taking the BLS psychomotor exam; but hey, what do I know.

Now, I'm not saying one should never study this material, but perhaps one should wait until after they have achieved BLS certification before filling their head with protocols outside their scope.
I agree 100% on that. Why fill their head with information they don't need at this moment? If he passes and becomes certified, then wants to learn advanced stuff.. Have at it.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
About to say, if you're not certified yet, study what you did in class. Go over your signs and symptoms of everything you can find in your book.. Know the difference between the different levels of shock, go back over the difference in symptoms between hemorrhagic and ischemic strokes, know your normal and abnormal vital ranges for your common patients. Study your pathophysiology.

Also study your grids. You should be able to almost recite your grids for each station forward and back, but don't just regurgitate the information, fully understand it, and know why you are doing that step in that order. When you know why you are doing that step, in that order, you'll be able to adjust it as needed when you're on scene and it's not being presented exactly as it was in class. Not to mention if someone asks you "why are you doing that" answering "because that's what I was told to do" is probably not what they are looking for.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Study the checksheets from the NREMT psycho motor exam. nothing more, nothing less. make sure you know everything on them. They are relatively simple, but you need to remember the process, and make sure you don't skip any steps.

Just think, they are giving you a test, and telling you EXACTLY they want you to say. don't get fancy, don't overthink it, just start at the top and work your way to the bottom.

Ginger care

Forum Ride Along
Don't know if this is still time relevant (not sure if you already took skills test) but for every point on the skills sheet do that many practice runs. Example- if trauma assessment is 42 points, practice it 42 times. Sounds like alot but remember...everytime you see a patient they get a assessment. When you get hired individual protocols will vary, but to pass the nremt you need to know those sheets inside and out.