What to expect?

DPM

Forum Captain
Hi guys / girls,

I'm (clearly!) new here and I've got a few questions. I'm an EMT-B and a former Soldier with quite a bit of trauma under my belt and I'm about 1/3 through the didactic portion of medic school. However, I'm yet to actually work on an Ambulance and I don't really know what to expect. I know some people will grumble that I don't have the experience for Medic school yet but I don't subscribe to that view and I'm doing well.

What I'm curious about is what happens after you get hired as an EMT? I understand that the process will differ from county - state - agency but any pointers would be great. Am I expected to know my way around the city like a cab driver? Is there any kind of OJT/ Preceptor type thing? And does anyone know where an Englishman in Santa Cruz, California can actually get hired as an EMT? As far as I can tell AMR has the contract for here and they ride duel medic...

Thanks in advance,

DPM

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
I think this depends very much on the organisation you get hired with. I worked some places where a new medic basically got something like "here's the narcs", "here's the map", "any questions", "here's your emt". I worked others where you could expect 3 weeks in the classroom, learning the system, being certified for various clinical trials, getting shown service-specific equipment, touring facilties, meeting specialty teams, dealing with corporate HR etc, then as much as a month of third-riding with an ALS crew, then a month or two of second riding with an FTO. Can you guess which service was the better one to work for? :)

Area knowledge comes with time. I've never heard of anyone testing for this before hiring, but I'm sure there are places that do. When I was hired by a (different) city, you kind of just learned the major arterial roads as you were mentoring, and if you had any motivation, you drove around a bit on your days off. North American cities tend to be pretty easy to get around. One you know your major north-south and east-west roads and how to cross the river(s), you're functional.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
We got very little training. Very little, "what to do if..."

Some FTO time mostly to make sure we can fill out the paperwork properly. Then they wanted me to drive so a handful of days with the driving FTO. You manage not to hit anything for a few days and they already have you scheduled as a driver on the next week's schedule.

No mention of learning the maps or how to get anywhere, they just expect you to get where you're told to go.

It really is quite sad but the independence is nice.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
" quite a bit of trauma under my belt "

You like getting teased around here? ;)

It's all academic until you have the job. Be ready to relocate but ONLY if you get the job.

OP
OP
D

DPM

Forum Captain
I'm vaguely hoping I can fit it in around medic school... But I realise that I'll probably end up working in a bar. Especially as AMR in my area ride duel medics and I can't even find an IFT company...

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi guys / girls,

I'm (clearly!) new here and I've got a few questions. I'm an EMT-B and a former Soldier with quite a bit of trauma under my belt and I'm about 1/3 through the didactic portion of medic school. However, I'm yet to actually work on an Ambulance and I don't really know what to expect. I know some people will grumble that I don't have the experience for Medic school yet but I don't subscribe to that view and I'm doing well.

What I'm curious about is what happens after you get hired as an EMT? I understand that the process will differ from county - state - agency but any pointers would be great. Am I expected to know my way around the city like a cab driver? Is there any kind of OJT/ Preceptor type thing? And does anyone know where an Englishman in Santa Cruz, California can actually get hired as an EMT? As far as I can tell AMR has the contract for here and they ride duel medic...

Thanks in advance,

DPM

Be very careful, we are slowly but surely creeping back in...

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I believe AMR in the Marina ( Monterey County ) is hiring basics. Also get onto the Volly units in Ben Lomond / Boulder Creek areas. Get some great experience if you have the time to spend on it.

OP
OP
D

DPM

Forum Captain
Thanks for the idea ref Volly units. I had a look but most that I pubs required you to live in their catchment area... I think!

Looks like I've figured out what to so this morning :)