What to expect for EMT-I classes?

ken158

Forum Crew Member
I know that it's hard, but what does a typical day of classes consist of?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I-85 or I-99? Big difference between the two.

OP
OP
ken158

ken158

Forum Crew Member
I-85 or I-99? Big difference between the two.

I meant EMT-B, but California calls them EMT-I (or EMT-1).

At least I think that's how it's called, it's different for every state >_>

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I meant EMT-B, but California calls them EMT-I (or EMT-1).

At least I think that's how it's called, it's different for every state >_>

I have heard rumor that CA renamed it EMT-B, but I dunno. In any case expect a crash course in the human body and emergency medicine. Memorize all the mnemonics. They will save your life. Study every day for an hour. Take practice exams.

JPINFV

Gadfly
California was EMT-I (1), EMT-II (2), and EMT-P until July 1, 2010 when we aligned ourselves with the new EMT, AEMT, paramedic standard.

OP
OP
ken158

ken158

Forum Crew Member
I have heard rumor that CA renamed it EMT-B, but I dunno. In any case expect a crash course in the human body and emergency medicine. Memorize all the mnemonics. They will save your life. Study every day for an hour. Take practice exams.

Hmm, interesting.

Does having prior knowledge from Human Anatomy/Physiology class from high school help at all?

Tolstoy

Forum Probie
Hmm, interesting.

Does having prior knowledge from Human Anatomy/Physiology class from high school help at all?

Yes, in fact the EMT-B course I'm enrolled in requires two semesters of Anatomy & Physiology. So any prior knowledge would definitely help ^_^

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Hmm, interesting.

Definitely, and even if you've had the class before, the more times you go through it, the more you learn. Dig deep into it. It gets better and better.

OP
OP
ken158

ken158

Forum Crew Member
Well, we just started today and to be honest it wasn't that bad.

I'm really scared of dropping out of the class, though. And for the particular class I'm taking, one does not get many second chances.

They dropped the EMT-B and EMT-P when they realigned with the new EMT, AEMT, Paramedic as someone said earlier in this post. My card states the following: Emergency Medical Technician.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
How long is your program? Accelerated or semester based? If you enjoy the material you're going to breeze through it. Just remember all the numbers that you see for the national test.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes, in fact the EMT-B course I'm enrolled in requires two semesters of Anatomy & Physiology. So any prior knowledge would definitely help ^_^

Nice, but overkill for EMT-B. Should be mandatory for Paramedic