What to do with really old equipment?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
I recently was elected to be my agency’s building and equipment manager. As I’ve started going through closets and other nooks and crannies, I am finding lot and lots of really old equipment. Damaged backboards; MAST trousers (military anti-shock trousers, also known as pneumatic anti-shock garments, PASG); Zoll machines from around the year 2000; steel oxygen tanks; oxygen rebreathers that look like the ones from the Emergency! tv show; etc…. I’d love suggestions for what to do with this stuff. If tossing into the garbage is the best idea, that’s good to know too. Thanks.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Donate it to local EMS programs/schools.

As a teacher, I'm amazed at all of the "old junk" companies get rid of.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If it's useable and relevant by all means donate. But it seems like my program has whole room full of useless crap that's too outdated to be practical. The monitors would certainly be appreciated by a local paramedic program though if they still turn on.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Also check out local, volunteer programs such as CERT and Medical Reserve Corps. They may be able to find a use for some of it.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Donate it like everyone else has said. We have 2 ambulances that were donated to the school I go too. Along with several Stryker cots, a Ferno cot and a Stryker stair chair. We have some really old stuff too but it's mainly to how how far the equipment has come as far as functionality goes.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Sell the mast pants to Pierce county Washington agencies....

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Also check out local, volunteer programs such as CERT and Medical Reserve Corps. They may be able to find a use for some of it.
I can't think of anything more terrifying than the thought of a CERT member being near me with a piece of medical equipment.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Isn't using the PASG a NREMT skill? I'm sure schools/programs would love that donation.

The rest, I second donating to a volunteer team, be it CERT or volly fire or a volly SAR team.

On slow days I'll go through those shadowy corners in the ED supply rooms. Unbelievable how random, old, and/or disgusting some stuff is. I think my favorite find was a circumcision kit dated for somewhere around 2003.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I feel bad for your CERT teams. The teams around here are really good.

The ones around here are great at what they do, which is stuff like traffic control. I wouldn't want a CERT member having anything to do with rescue/treatment though.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I have been to multiple incidents where CERT is on scene- usually, the IC just gives them mindless busywork with no real purpose to keep them out of the way. And honestly, what can you really do with a group of people with next to no training? Having untrained or poorly trained individuals on an emergency scene is an extremely foolish idea.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I have been to multiple incidents where CERT is on scene- usually, the IC just gives them mindless busywork with no real purpose to keep them out of the way. And honestly, what can you really do with a group of people with next to no training? Having untrained or poorly trained individuals on an emergency scene is an extremely foolish idea.
We're kind of getting off the original topic. If someone wants to start a CERT topic feel free and let me know and I'll join in.

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
For the very old, antiquated stuff, isn't there someone at the JEMS or EMS World shows that display old museum pieces? Maybe even a movie prop supplier (they are hard core collectors). Better than a dumpster in my opinion...but then again, I'm a hoarder...

Ruamkatanyu

Forum Probie
My Friend Marko Cunnigham could use this stuff as he is helping several fledgling EMS communities in Myanmar just contact Bangkok Free Ambulance.