What text are you using to teach Basic?

emttiv

Forum Probie
We have a new class starting and we are trying to decide what book to use. Please list any recommendations or criticisms of current texts you are using or have used. Very much appreciated.

emttiv

Shabo

Forum Probie
We used the AAOS: Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured for my class. The students that used the additional resources ie: emtb.com and workbook tended to do very well in comparison to the others. I actually had no complaints as a student about the text.

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
Last year I used Emergency Care 10th edition (Brady) but used the AAOS the year before. Flip a coin. I feel they are both pretty good texts for new students.

I am not a big fan of the powerpoints from the Instructor Kit for either and generally use my own and copy/paste certain "new" materiasl into my presentations.

I did, however, like the Brady student manual better that can be purchase with the text.

Canoeman

MRE

Forum Captain
My instructor taught two classes last summer. One class used the AAOS book and the other used the Brady Book. I don't know why he did this, but I have heard that both books are good. My class used the Brady book and I thought it was just fine.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I have used both texts, and in my humble opinion the AAOS text wins hands down. The biggest problem that I have with the Brady books is that they are not consistent from chapter to chapter. I have also used the Thompson-Delmar books.... and I would still rather teach out of the AAOS book.. Go Orange!

Mr. Anderson

Forum Probie
Brady's 8th edition text from Mistovich, or 10th edition Emergency Care from Limmer are both well written. The AAOS book is also well written, and an easy read.

My program went with the Brady books because the reading level is higher, and we are a university based program. You can't really go wrong with any of the three, if I made decisions I'd choose either the one written by Mistovich, or the AAOS book.

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
I've had both the Mosby and Brady text. I tend to think the Brady text is a better and more thorough text than Mosby's, but Mosby's is not bad.

disassociative

Forum Captain
I do not teach an EMT-B class, however--I can contribute.

95% of the EMT courses here use Emergency Care & Transport of the Sick and Injured.

This book is quite well written and adapted to the standard of the ever-changing roles and reponsibilities of the EMS provider.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
We use the AAOS book mentioned previously and I hate it. Its full of errors, both in the book and the workbook. They seriously need to revamp the proof-reading department!!

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
I have used both texts, and in my humble opinion the AAOS text wins hands down. The biggest problem that I have with the Brady books is that they are not consistent from chapter to chapter. I have also used the Thompson-Delmar books.... and I would still rather teach out of the AAOS book.. Go Orange!

When you say, "not consistent" what do you mean by that?

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Differing VS and mechanism information from chapter to chapter. I always tried to read ahead of my students in the book, but they were always the ones that ended up finding these dramatic errors... why? Because I already had my foundation, and I was just "reviewing" the material... they were ingesting it, knowing that at some point they would have to regurgitate it.

Jo

EMT815

Forum Probie
Aaos

We used the AAOS book in my class that I just finished. I thought it was good but i thought it could have used some more detail on some things.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I had the AAOS book. I threw it in the trash once I got the Brady book by Limmer. The Brady goes into much more detail and offers more practical advice, especially when it comes to special populations such as peds and also how to manage cultural differences. The section on documentation is also more comprehensive, and the CD and online resources available are pretty good, especially the trauma gallery and triage simulation.

disassociative

Forum Captain
All EMT books need more detail. The Anatomy/physiology alone should be no less than 1500 pages and should consitute 2 semesters in itself not including the rest of the program.

StarOfLife

Forum Crew Member
All EMT books need more detail. The Anatomy/physiology alone should be no less than 1500 pages and should consitute 2 semesters in itself not including the rest of the program.

I agree that they lack Anatomy and Physiology focus. In fact they woefully lack it.

My class was a WEMT 185 hour immersion course 8-4:30 Mon. - Fri. How would you incorporate such a curriculum into that style class? How much time would you suggest be added to the current format to be equivalent to your above suggestion?

I still volunteer for the school with practical testing each month so I could give input. They are always looking to innovate. I loved the way this course was taught, however, I do feel undertrained in the A&P area. I currently am collecting materials online and making a binder to study while I am slow at work.

thompson

Forum Ride Along
I can tell you i used AAOS for my EMT-I class and it was great. The disk has question that are just like the NREMT exam. This book is a complete view. However I know some that have used the Brady and the hated it. I used Brady for my basic many years ago and i was good. They are all the same its just how it is taught.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't comment as an instructor (because I am not one), but as a student. I used the Brady two years ago. I misplaced it, and in another thread here, someone recommended I try the AAOS book because it has some chapters on assisting ALS providers with intubations, IV therapy, etc. So that's something to consider in favor of the AAOS book.