What text are you using to teach Basic?

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Each and every EMS book has it's own pro's and con's.... I have an entire library made up of every EMT-B book available, and I use information from each to enhance the classes I teach. When I'm looking for a book that has the best comprehensive information in it, I review all of those books on the shelf, and more often than not, I end up using the AAOS book, and when I don't.. I wish I had.

Educators owe it to themselves and their students to be well rounded with the latest information, including written and media and equipment / skills changes.. only when this is done, can we expect to turn out quality students.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I wonder why we do not use the Paramedic texts? Since we all agree that they all suck in A & P, and there is not one alone that is worth its weight, why not teach the Basic Curriculum from the Advanced book?

I did this one semester to see if there was a difference. Ironically there was less confusion. Believe it or not people can learn it right from the start is less confusing and no misconceptions are made. For example teach hemodynamics when discussing blood pressure parameters. Really, it is not that hard. When the students returned for Paramedic level or A & P it was not all new. All the chapters are there, just more in depth. Skill sheets and lab time can be given in lieu of pretty pictures of the skills being performed.

Sure I emphasized, on what was allowed and not. It again does not take a rocket scientist to know that they do not give medication's, read ECG, etc. Yet again, exposure to material (as we have discussed) is not going to hurt anyone. As well, purchasing the book and using it later, also was cheaper.

The problem arises that other EMT instructors were so used to teaching the Basic of the top of their head. Rearranging more in-depth discussion, assignments and I hate to admit more detailed questions frustrated some.

Out of the 12 students I did this, all went onto advanced level. They all described that they felt they had an advantage over the other traditional students, and described that it was either a review or went into more detail. I do not technically know if it really changed, but they all finished Paramedic school and passed their license the first try. I do believe installing good study habits, and teaching correctly, any means to prevent confusion and clarify the first time.

skyemt

Forum Captain
for those that want to learn, using the Paramedic book is a great idea...

for those that are only going to be basics, it would overwhelm them...

i do know what your response to that is... lol...

ironically, i have two paramedic books, mosby and caroline... i find them invaluable, even though i am still a basic... as those you described, rid, i will be much more prepared when taking the ALS class in the fall...

and ironically, my Brady Basic book is not much smaller at all then the Paramedic books!