What should be the role of the NAEMT?

What should be the role & function of the NAEMT?

• They do an adequate job of what they do already

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
A few weeks ago, I joined the NAEMT and then received an e-mail about participating in a survey as to what the function and goals of the NAEMT should be. The questions on the survey pertained to issues such as EMS advocacy, further training, and whether or not EMT or paramedic issues were adequately covered, or if one was favored over another.

So, what do you believe the role and function of the NAEMT organization should be? My opinion-they can focus on advocacy and professional enhancement at the same time, much as teachers have through the NEA. I don't believe the NAEMT is as politically powerful, I wonder at times if it would be a good thing if they were. I would like to see greater expenditures towards that area.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
NAEMT = National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians.

Problem is - they aren't a labor organization like IAFF or FOP, and they aren't just chiefs, like IACP and IAFC. They are strictly a lobbying organization... but I don't think they are that powerful... and I don't think they represent nearly the amount of EMS providers compared to any of the other listed organizations.

Of course, I've not bothered to join, so I'm being part of the problem.

They shouldn't be advocating for EMT vs. Paramedic (or vice versa)... that will turn into the national equivalent of our BLS vs. ALS threads. They should be speaking up for all of us.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
National Association of EMT's is just that! An association of EMT's. IT was formed in the early 70's and has NOTHING in relation to with NREMT, other than being in EMS.

Remember folks, all that NREMT is just a testing company.. that's it. It is NOT an association, curriculum development, or has standards or protocols, etc.. Just a test!.. Alike NCLEX for RN's..

The NAEMT was formed to promote the .. you got it.. the EMT! It has attempted to organize EMT's to promote better care through education (PHTLS, PEPP), better benefits for EMT's through legislation, and attempted to unite EMT's as a whole.

Something we can see here that is not easy! ..

NAEMT was totally re-established with new officers, new agenda and by-laws.. so if you have not been a member for a while; it is not the same organization.

What it is NOT.. is a union, a tester, license or authoritative organization. It did used to have a great journal, but that costs $$ in which many EMT's much rather spend their money on other stuff..

I have to admit I am a member of ANA, and other nurses associations that costs far more than NAEMT. Also many States have branches of the NAEMT as State EMT Associations. Some are affiliated and some are not... As well EMS Administrators have their own very powerful association with much better lobbyist ,etc.. it's called American Ambulance Association.. AAA.

I agree, if you are not a member you should join. Become active, remember there is strength in numbers.. and again if you are not working to be a solution, then you are part of the problem!

Last edited by a moderator:

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
if you are not working to be a solution, then you are part of the problem!

My english teacher used to say that all the time! It makes much more sense to me now than it used to.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I was a member of the NAEMT for three years, but did not renew after that. I found that they were absolutely useless. They didn't update the membership on their efforts, and I saw no effort to unify EMTs as a whole.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I was a member of the NAEMT for three years, but did not renew after that. I found that they were absolutely useless. They didn't update the membership on their efforts, and I saw no effort to unify EMTs as a whole.
I'd have to agree with ya here. I was a member for two years and saw absolutely no benefit to being a member. If I'm gonna spend 25.00 on being a member of something, I'd rather spend 25.00 on being a member of my local Jeep club which gives me a 10 percent discount on Jeep stuff at NATIONAL company's like 4 wheel drive hardware along with quite a few other companies. If being a member of NAEMT give me a 10 percent discount on someplace like Galls, I'd probably rejoin.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I'd have to agree with ya here. I was a member for two years and saw absolutely no benefit to being a member. If I'm gonna spend 25.00 on being a member of something, I'd rather spend 25.00 on being a member of my local Jeep club which gives me a 10 percent discount on Jeep stuff at NATIONAL company's like 4 wheel drive hardware along with quite a few other companies. If being a member of NAEMT give me a 10 percent discount on someplace like Galls, I'd probably rejoin.

Really, what did you expect? How much participation did you do other than pay for the dues? Did you become active in committee's, state association's, research, etc.. or just expect them to give you or do something for you?

Now, really in comparison I pay over $250 yr for national nurses association and $200 for my local state nurses association and $200 a year for my Emergency Nurses Association, and I get a lobbyist & a news letter. My state EMT association is $40 . and guess what. they don't do squat either because you get what you pay for.. You want higher paying jobs, want job security & benefits, want professionalism..? Nothing comes for free...

Comparing Jeep which is billion dollar industry is ridiculous..Now, really think you spent thousands of dollars to be able to be a member and you get a 10% off for a product marked up 200%? ...

Not pickin on one individual but it is the typical EMT's wanting something and expecting something for nothing, and not willing work and pay the price for it..

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

So, an organization is only worth supporting if you get something from it? It has to directly benefit you in a highly visible way? Sometimes we give to a cause to support the cause. The benefits to ourselves personally should be incidental and perhaps long term.

If everyone took that attitude, only heart patients would donate to AHA, only poor people would donate to United Way, and those poor organizations that deal with childhood illnesses.. well, they probably wouldn't get anyone to join because the kids don't have jobs yet.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You know... after I thought about this thread... I went and signed up. ANYONE ELSE?

I figure if I'm paying for an NRA membership and a ARRL (Amateur Radio Assn) membership because they are politically active for my HOBBIES... I might as well pay for a membership for a group to be politically active for my career.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I actually did the same thing Jon...for almost the same reason. Now joining is the first step, but keeping active with things is the next.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be sure there to check to see if there is a State or local chapter. I know some schools have chapters as well. Since it is really a "grass root" operation, become involved & sign up for committees.

R/r 911