What resources should I use to help study?

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member
Hi yall, im taking the MA state exam for EMT-B...i used the brady book 9/e in my class, i did very well in my classes but im really stuck on what resources to use to study for my written. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Use your notes, book and classmates. The MA written is very similar to your final (at least mine was.) Focus on ABCs, c-spine etc. It's a really simple exam, trust me. When are you testing?

OP
OP
TbArbie

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member
Hi, I hope! My classmates , not that reliable, out of 10..only 3 of us passed the class n the practical...I test Feb 1st

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Hi, I hope! My classmates , not that reliable, out of 10..only 3 of us passed the class n the practical...I test Feb 1st

Wow, really?
Do you still have your tests and quizzes? I found those to be pretty helpful (provided the correct answer was marked on one you got wrong.)
You could go out and buy a bunch of study material if you want but you have the best study materials already (IMO).
When I was getting ready for my written I pulled out my book, notes and old quizzes. I already knew which subjects I sucked at, and I started there.

OP
OP
TbArbie

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member
our school made us return the tests and we couldnt keep them! My teacher didnt believe in notes, so all i have is my book and a emt-b flashcard book by REA...where are you from?

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
our school made us return the tests and we couldnt keep them! My teacher didnt believe in notes, so all i have is my book and a emt-b flashcard book by REA...where are you from?

Wow. Just....that's....just wow.
I have REA's flash cards, I used it to study for my National written. I liked it, I have friends who didn't, but I got a lot from it.
Would it be possible to contact your school and get your quizzes and stuff?
I'll PM you w my location.

Anjel

Forum Angel
There are millions of threads on here on how to pass your written tests.

emtb.com is what I used, and I passed, sick as a dog and high on cough medicine.

OP
OP
TbArbie

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member
i did that and it only had one test i could find...i got a 150 question packet from another emt teacher and i got 106 right, im doing ok..i think im just really nervous!

dave0811

Forum Probie
You'll be fine. I was really worried I wouldn't pass my final because we had a bunch of people who were taking the class for the second time. Go over what ever notes you took. read over stuff you dont know sooo well..I focused a lot on the body functions and the pathophysiology of problems a patient might have. IE pink frothy sputum is a sign of pulmonary edema. So stuff like that GOOD LUCK

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

So why didn't you take notes? Who gives a flying :censored::censored::censored::censored: if your teacher "doesn't believe in notes." They aren't taking them, you are and if a teacher tried to stop me from taking notes I'd have a field day.

Giving the tests back is pretty standard. Quizzes not so much but tests yes.

dave0811

Forum Probie
So why didn't you take notes? Who gives a flying :censored::censored::censored::censored: if your teacher "doesn't believe in notes." They aren't taking them, you are and if a teacher tried to stop me from taking notes I'd have a field day.

mmm dido. Im always going back to my notes and protocol book..its impossible to remember each and every little thing.

OP
OP
TbArbie

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member

He told us the book was a secondary resource and that what he told us would do us better..he ran threw the slides and that was the extent to it, i pretty much read every chapter and did it myself!...so im going to end up reviewing the slides!

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
He told us the book was a secondary resource and that what he told us would do us better..he ran threw the slides and that was the extent to it, i pretty much read every chapter and did it myself!...so im going to end up reviewing the slides!

I see more and more egos getting in the way of education these days....

Ramis46

Forum Crew Member
YEah the best advice is to Focus on ABC-first then trust your answer, the practical for me was harder than the written... and usually on tests you are your own worst enemy!

GL

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

We wernt allowed to keep the tests either and notes were certainly not encouraged. All then info is in your textbook so dont panic just read.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Hi yall, im taking the MA state exam for EMT-B...i used the brady book 9/e in my class, i did very well in my classes but im really stuck on what resources to use to study for my written. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Like everyone else said, textbook is a good place to start. For Massachusetts-specific info, you can download a PDF fie of the Statewide Treatment Protocols from the OEMS website, just make sure that it is the most current version.

Recently I stumbled across a site maintained by a member here, I believe Brandon Oto, that has thoroughly impressed me...check it out at www.emsbasics.com.

Otherwise, study like you did for your exams and I think you'll do fine. Remember your acronyms and mnemonics, brush up on the things that may not have been covered very thoroughly in class such as obstetrics and operations, and I think you should do well.