What Makes You...well, You?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
So then I guess you guys don't want to hear about the time I got a shard of metal in my eye and had to have surgery (fully conscious, with a numbed eyeball) to get it out, and the doctor had to scrape the rust out of the wound with a what looked like a little sewing needle? Would that kind of a story bother you? I'd better not tell it then.

PS - I think most people dislike the smell of decaying flesh. If not, I'd be worried.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I once had 2 MORON young boy scouts egg an EVEN MORE MORONIC young boy scout into throwing a chunk of slate into a campfire.

The campfire sort of blew up, sent a rock shard thru the tarp the leaders were under 5 yards+ away, and all three ended up with corneal abrasions of some degree. 1 kid got boarded and collared after complaing of whiplash type pain. another got a nice 1000 bag saline flush thanks to the medic onsite doing the first aid demo, while I was the first aid guy for the event.

The poor kid was scared, and dad screaming at us to put him in the MEDICAL helicopter doing a DEMO that was onsite AT THAT MOMENT (I had been up to watch the helo land, and got called back for the medical emerg.

The kids were all treated and released at the local ed, 1 had to consult with an opthamologist after, I think, but all was good. Just REAL high stress.

Jon

Ray1129

Forum Crew Member
Here's one for you. I don't like needles. I love giving them, I can give them all day, and have done so on many occasions. But the second you point a needle at me, I start crying and screaming and losing all rational thought. I once gave an ER tech a black eye and kicked over his cart. Another time I got dizzy and passed out. I can't control what I do when you get a needle close to my skin, so I try to stay as healthy as possible. :D :rolleyes: :p :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Ray1129@Apr 4 2005, 10:32 PM
Here's one for you. I don't like needles. I love giving them, I can give them all day, and have done so on many occasions. But the second you point a needle at me, I start crying and screaming and losing all rational thought. I once gave an ER tech a black eye and kicked over his cart. Another time I got dizzy and passed out. I can't control what I do when you get a needle close to my skin, so I try to stay as healthy as possible. :D :rolleyes: :p :lol:
Ummm.... Don't most of us feel the same way?

I do love having pt's who think a 14 in the EJ doesn't hurt a bit.

Jon

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Needles arent that bad for me. When I went through all the testing and surgery for my cancer (age 16) I was telling the techs the best veins to get me in... I'm sure they though I was a drug addict.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yeah, I got over my fear of needles when I joined the military. There's nothing like boot camp vaccinations to help you get over that fear.

Punisher

Forum Ride Along
Het ffemt8978, I heard that the military may have vaccinations that the public doesn't. Let me know.

possum

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Apr 2 2005, 07:50 AM
I guess I should add Semi Trucks to mine. Remember the movie Maximum Overdrive? Well I swear those trucks really are possessed like that. I hate them. I am scared to death driving next to one. I just know they are going to pull over and run me over. Or if they are just sitting parked in a parking lot (imagine that...parked in a parking lot, some nerve I tell ya), I always have this vision of them just taking off and chasing me down. Even when I was driving the Fire Engines, those darn Semi-Trucks would scare the crap outta me every time. Now if I ever looked over and saw a baby in a semi truck, I'd probably code right there.
I have a fear of STUPID *** PEOPLE that still breed!!!!!!!!!!!!

possum

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Should I be insulted? I think he just tried to insult me. :rolleyes:

Hmm...

Oh, and welcome to EMTLife...hope you can be a productive poster and maybe even provide some good info.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Punisher@Apr 10 2005, 10:39 AM
Het ffemt8978, I heard that the military may have vaccinations that the public doesn't. Let me know.
Yeah, they do.

I received boosters on all of the childhood immunizations plus the following: Whooping Cough, Yellow Fever (hurts like hell), diptheria, and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Apr 10 2005, 01:34 PM
Should I be insulted? I think he just tried to insult me. :rolleyes:

Hmm...

Oh, and welcome to EMTLife...hope you can be a productive poster and maybe even provide some good info.
Maximum Overdrive scared the shizzle out of me too, I was ten when I saw it - I still have a little bit of a fear of drawbridges because of it - oh, and while we're on bridges - thanks to the pancaking of the highways in Oakland and the Bay Bridge during the Loma Prieta quake, I'm nervous on double decker highways and bridges too.

As far as stupid a$$ people, you're not one of them Princess - but possum made a good attempt at a dis (HAHA) hopefully he'll just play dead (like a good possum should).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by possum@Apr 10 2005, 12:59 PM

I have a fear of STUPID *** PEOPLE that still breed!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have nearly as much work.....

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
opossum3.jpg

Opossum...

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
:lol: :lol:

We all should be associated with some sort of animal.

rescuecpt

This is me:

koala.jpg

It all started 2 Valentine's Days ago... we went out East (Long Island) to go wine tasting and we saw a gingerbread "fair" on our way out there - so we figure we'd stop on the way back to see it. The fair was over when we got there, but there was a make your own teddy bear store. The man has always quoted South Park saying "I'm a sad panda" if there's something I said no about - so I started referring to myself as a koala since koalas are much little-er than pandas (just like me and the man) but are still, in all reality, little bears. Long story short, at the teddy bear place he made a panda and I made a koala and we swapped. Since then I've always been a koala.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Phridae@Apr 11 2005, 11:59 AM
We all should be associated with some sort of animal.
I agree.
chimpie.jpg

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I love dragons, but it's really not appropriate for my personality, I'm probably more along the lines of a duck billed platypus :huh:

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Can't watch a needle going into my body. I don't mind seeing my own blood (like a lot of people do), but I can't watch the initial "prick". I give blood fairly frequently, and always have to turn away (both for the finger-prick test before and the draw).

I used to have a big-time fear of ladders (yeah, weird for a firefighter, huh). I still don't like them all that much, but have learned to work on them when needed.