What made you actually chose to become a paramedic?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I became a paramedic after a "midlife career change crisis".
Funny how that works, maybe 40-50% of my medic class fit in that category. A lot of guys had a bachelors degree in something unrelated. I remember my preceptors partner had all grey hair and use to work in the stock market. He was a brand new medic at god knows what age.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Funny how that works, maybe 40-50% of my medic class fit in that category. A lot of guys had a bachelors degree in something unrelated. I remember my preceptors partner had all grey hair and use to work in the stock market. He was a brand new medic at god knows what age.

I had a very successful career in broadcasting, then woke up one morning and said, "thats it." I didn't go into it totally blind, I'd been involved in ems as a basic or intermediate since 1989... There were a couple of "old guys" in my class, but I was the oldest. I passed my NREMT-P on my 40th birthday. So far I don't regret it. Much.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
maybe Ill do the opposite and get into broadcasting or stocks on my 40th ;-)

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Pay is not the be all and end all but for our cost of living and education requirements I think the pay here is acceptable but certainly not good.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I spent 25 years in family businesses, (mostly automotive). As things and life changed I began to look for something else. I was always somewhat interested in medicine and new paramedicine here was changing. So I applied to some schools and got into one. I started in PCP school just after my 43rd birthday. Apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks.

After 5 years as a PCP I enrolled in a distance ACP program. I finished that when I was 51.

This is absolutly the best job I've ever had.

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
First started wanting to be on the fire dept b/c of a MVC I helped out on as a bystander. Being on a volunteer dept I was told I needed to be a first responder too. I had waited and waited for first responder courses to be offered and none came up. My gf who was also on the fire dept told me about an EMT B class being held and that would cover my first responder status. So we took the EMT B class together not knowing that EMS was going to be my career as I was flipping burgers at a restaurant. Anyway I loved the EMT class and my husband suggested I make a career out of it. So after I passed my tests I got hired on a private ambulance company as an EMT B and loved it. So I figured why not go all the way and be a paramedic. So now here I am in paramedic class and loving it.