what Knife do you carry on duty?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I carry a tac with me. I am just that sharp.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a pair of trauma shears that look like poultry shears.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMT-EMS-PARAMEDIC-TACTICAL-RESCUE-SHEARS-11-TOOLS-IN-1-_W0QQitemZ250384382423QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090307?IMSfp=TL090307182010r24864

They are handy, though. Seat belt cutter on the side, a saw for cutting tougher materials, O2 bottle opener, wire strippers, you can split it in halve to have two knives... Granted, I don't use half those things. But they're there if I need them, I guess.

I also have my Swiss Army knife on me. But I never go anywhere without that, so it doesn't really count.

firespec35

Forum Probie
I always carry a knife on me. If I'm working I always have shears too. I was in a knife collecting phase for a while. I almost always carry a custom knife made for me by James McGowan, designer of the MAK-1 and Extric8r for CRKT it is a small fixed blade that I can wear in a scissor pocket. If I want to hide it I just snap the scissor strap over it and you really cant see it. It really is a great tool. If I don't carry that I have a few to choose from CRKT Hissatsu folder, Byrd meadowlark (designed by spyderco) Benchmade mini stryker, Spyderco rescue. I dont use them for seatbelts. Just general cutting chores. Plus Im a lefty so shears are a pain for me sometimes

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
I'm not an EMT yet, but I've had a Kershaw Junkyard Dog II for about a year now and love it. Kershaws aren't friendly towards your wallet, but they are great knives.

MRE

Forum Captain
I'm a rural, call volley so what I wear on the ambulance is what I wear all the time.

Benchmade Osborne 943 folder
Leatherman Charge XTi

I have a rescue hook and I carried it for a while, used it a few times to open O2 bottles, but far more often to open beer bottles at home. Haven't carried it lately though.

I did use my leatherman a few days ago on a call. We were transporting a 50y/o M with advanced CO poisoning, he was in real rough shape and when we got to the hospital we snapped the plastic O2 wrench on the stretcher bottle. The other wrenches we have are in the O2 bag and chained to the bottle inside it and one in the O2 compartment, accessable from the outside only. Leatherman made quick work of that. Saved some time for a pt that didn't have any to spare.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
I am saddened to see that no one carries a crocdile dundee knife...lol

Ok yeah I know this is way old but I am trying to find places to make my 50 post quota so I can go chat....lol

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Spyderco Endura with combo edge and old fasion shears. I also carry a Leatherman Surge because I am a tool nut also.:rolleyes:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Smith and Wesson First Response. Is got the seatbelt cut and glass punch in it. It's also sharp tipped though, so I shank someone if I get into a gang war with the crips in Compton :rofl:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
aefce3d1-04f8-1b93.jpg

Pager for size reference

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Haven't really had to use it except for one trauma pt who responded to painful stimuli (bubinski method, of course I didn't open the blade)

31bIn%2BJfaBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But it works around the house haha

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
traumaluv, you just came up with the only use for a folding machete in an ambulance.

I read now where VIctroinox is selling their "Swiss officer Army knives" as "multitools". TSA won't care.

mycrofft

W1IM, about O2 wrenches

I believe the bottle opener on the Victorinox Officer's Multitool (knife) will act as a spanner to turn a cylinder stem valve. Hook the little prong on the flat side of the stem then ease the big screwdriver around until it is "set", then turn. I have used the plastic grips on tetra snips to do that also.
swiss-army-knife-military-edition_1099rs.jpg

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I believe the bottle opener on the Victorinox Officer's Multitool (knife) will act as a spanner to turn a cylinder stem valve. Hook the little prong on the flat side of the stem then ease the big screwdriver around until it is "set", then turn. I have used the plastic grips on tetra snips to do that also.
swiss-army-knife-military-edition_1099rs.jpg

I find that trying to jack all of that with a hook just strips the stem of the tank.

All of that works, but it's obnoxious to have a stripped stem on the stupid tank.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I find that trying to jack all of that with a hook just strips the stem of the tank.

All of that works, but it's obnoxious to have a stripped stem on the stupid tank.

The back doors of the vanbulances have a little like hole that opens O2 tanks very well.

I don't carry a knife. There is a spork from taco bell in my bag, though.

MRE

Forum Captain
I carry a Leatherman Charge TTi and a Benchmade 943, not specifically for EMS, they are just what I carry every day.

mycrofft

Taco Bell Spork

Have two in my car console. Never know when you will have to do an emergency crime, or eat refritos

BTW, an earlier post said the Calif "EMS Agency" (sic) requires caregivers to carry a folding knife. News to me, and CALEMSA is and "Authority", not "Agency".

Cylinder wrench:
media.nl

$3 plus s/h, 1/2 the thickness of a pocket knife. You could shorten the length if needed.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
None. I can only carry with 1 of the agencies that I work with...the other one forbids it. With that said, I used to carry a multi-tool (which obviously had a knife on it). Found that I never used it and as a result, stopped carrying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Rasafraskinbraskin!

My reply above was supposed to say "emergency CRIKE" not "crime". Someone tell this Mac-Mini to mind its own spelling.!!!

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I have a few Gerbers from the Corps. However, I carry a steak knife and spork. You never know, when you'll be in quarters and need to eat lunch.