1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

what Knife do you carry on duty?

Discussion in 'Ambulances and Equipment' started by para82frame, Aug 25, 2006.

1. NJN

NJN The Young One

[​IMG]

Never use it on patients but always helpful when the chinese place forgets to include the plastic utensils.

2. mycrofft

mycrofft Still crazy but elsewhere

[​IMG]
    "The Eatensil is designed to be an all-in-one Swiss army knife of cutlery for fast food fans. It comprises of a pizza cutter, wooden chip fork, chopsticks, bottle opener and for the old fashioned, a fork,knife and spoon."

("Chip"means "French Fry", or "Pomme Frits")

charliefox42 likes this.
  3. 74restore

74restore Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    I just got the same one today! Mine works great and it's a great knife for the price

charliefox42 likes this.
  4. tnoye1337

tnoye1337 Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    Yeah, it's a good knife. The only problem I had with it is it broke about a week into using it and wouldn't spring open. Also the blade isn't the sharpest, so take a stone to that bad boy.

charliefox42 likes this.
  5. Tigger

Tigger Dodges Pucks Community Leader

Education:
    Paramedic
    This appears far more useful to EMS than most "duty knives."

charliefox42 likes this.
  6. mycrofft

Just replaced my prime pocket knife lost to Dubai's version of TSA (nice lady in hibjab with a milk crate). Victorinox Hunstman. [​IMG]However, it cost six dollars more ($39) than the last one I bought six months ago. Also, the plastic bolsters seem thinner. Otherwise, same same.
    I miss my original (from Pappy in 1966).
    Over forty-five years carrying them (four so far): cut a sapling down with the saw to lever my truck out of a ditch, carved chopsticks to eat in then field and retrieve stuff out of holes, instantly improvised male tips on oxygen tubing, removed foreign objects from under the skin, shaved (once), dissected a Necator worm in anatomy, and opened most of my bottles of wine because the older (not current) model of corkscrew was superior. Etcetera.

charliefox42 likes this.
  7. bw2529

bw2529 Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    I have the same knife but it is the "firefighter edition." Dad got it free when he ordered a knife sharpener. Seems pretty decent for what I use it for.

charliefox42 likes this.
  8. yowzer

yowzer Forum Lieutenant

Education:
    EMT
    You can never go wrong with a Victorinox or Wenger swiss army knife.

charliefox42 likes this.
  9. mycrofft

Vic's can opener trump's Wenger's. But yeah.

charliefox42 likes this.
  10. stormchasemedic340

stormchasemedic340 Forum Ride Along

Benchmade presidio auto axis black.

charliefox42 likes this.
  11. EMT John

EMT John Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    The best knife I have ever owned is the Gerber fast draw, serrated. I bought this blade back in 2006. Carried it full time on the ambulance and commercial fishing vessel. I have probably sharpened 3/4 of an inch off of it in the 6 years I've had it. Still razor sharp & strong knife. This thing has cut everything from belts and straps to deck line and rockcod.

I can't stand these fancy fangled "knifes" that people are getting that have all these gadgets that they rarly use. Then once it gets used it breaks. You can do it all with a regular knife.

charliefox42 likes this.
  12. greenmountains

greenmountains Forum Probie

The blade shape is ideal but the price!!! Yes, the jokes about PB&J are right. Mostly you will use it to make lunch. I use mine a lot when working in places like summer camps to open supplies and boxes, mail, etc. It helps not to have something that looks sinister since sometimes the patients scream in terror. I had one kid let out a strangled cry of fear when he saw my shears. Of course they were in a leather sheath so maybe he thought they were a gun! The other kid present laughed. What would he have done if I pulled out a knife that was spring assisted and looked like a murder weapon?

charliefox42 likes this.
  13. mantree

mantree Forum Probie

I just carry the raptor shears

charliefox42 likes this.
  14. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Forum Chief

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    I carry a Raptor and a "Joe's Steel" out the front knife.

charliefox42 likes this.
  15. MSDeltaFlt

MSDeltaFlt Forum Deputy Chief

charliefox42 likes this.
  16. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic EMS Edumacator

Education:
    Paramedic
  17. charliefox42

charliefox42 Forum Probie

Education:
    EMT