What kinda car do you drive?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Vehicles currently in our household:
1992 Mercedes 300TE wagon (daily driver)
1988 Mercedes 300SE (wife's daily driver)
1990 Ford F-350 crew cab 4x4 POS
1978 Porsche 928 w/ mod'ed European S motor 330hp+, 5sp. LSD, Koni's etc.
26 foot racing trimaran sailboat (currently in storage in CA- no water here!)

Vehicles recently owned:
1989 Mercedes 300TE
1987 Mercedes 300 TD
1982 Mercedes 300D
1994 Toyota T-100 4x4 w/ 8' box
1995 Toyota Corrolla wagon
1981 Jeep Wagoneer
1990 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 4x4
1981 Porsche 928s Euro 5-speed
1985 Porsche 928s 32v automatic
1981 BMW 635csi 5 sp. European grey-market car

Vehicles I will own in the future after I move to Pacific Northwest:
Chevy Surburban 4x4 (probably late 80's, w/ 4-sp. auto)
Drift boat/trailer for steelhead fishing
Windsurfers for me & my kids

BTW- No I didn't pay for these working EMS!!!

See ya'all on the road! If I spot a Jeep, I'll know it's probably an EMT! (what is it with you guys and Jeeps?)

Why are they all so old?

R.O.P.

Forum Crew Member
old cars

Gads! I guess I'm showing my age!
Generally I've found that you get more for your $$ by buying secondhand. Some of the cars I own were top of the line in their day, and extremely well built. My wife's Mercedes, for instance, still drives like it did when we got it off the original owner years ago, with 60K miles on it. I think we paid about 10 grand for it, and it was something like 50 grand new in 1989. Now it has almost 200K on the clock, and all I've done to it is replace tires and brakes.
As far as the trucks I've owned, I could never see the logic in buying a new one. The technology that is put into a brand new $50,000 truck is the same as was put into the same truck built 20+ years ago. They are still built using basically the same old frames, pushrod engines, and disposable plastic parts as they were when I was a kid. There is just no sense buying a new one, in my opinion.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Gads! I guess I'm showing my age!
Generally I've found that you get more for your $$ by buying secondhand. Some of the cars I own were top of the line in their day, and extremely well built. My wife's Mercedes, for instance, still drives like it did when we got it off the original owner years ago, with 60K miles on it. I think we paid about 10 grand for it, and it was something like 50 grand new in 1989. Now it has almost 200K on the clock, and all I've done to it is replace tires and brakes.
As far as the trucks I've owned, I could never see the logic in buying a new one. The technology that is put into a brand new $50,000 truck is the same as was put into the same truck built 20+ years ago. They are still built using basically the same old frames, pushrod engines, and disposable plastic parts as they were when I was a kid. There is just no sense buying a new one, in my opinion.

I don't need a NEW car, but I don't want one that was built while I was still in elementary school.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep, I'm still undecided on whether I like amazon green or DSG more.:unsure:

Thanks, that's an old pic though. Unfortunately the green V6 is now sold, but my dad has been thinking about buying a pre-99 Cobra and giving the S-197 to my mother.

Nice, any mods planned?

S197 ewwwww.

Gears, Whipple, CAI. The fun stuff.

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
I love your car! It's so cuuuute! Do you have the little flower too??

Thanks! Yes, both cars have the little flower vase. His is currently empty, as is mine. I had daisies, but I have no idea where they went. We emptied the car before it went to the shop. I need to get some new ones...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I want an Isetta. Can you say chick magnet? HAHA

bmw_isetta_open.jpg

traumamama

Forum Crew Member
I drive a subie and have for some time. I had a lapse last year and bought a ford focus and did not even keep it for a year. The 65 mustang is sweet. I had one when i was younger-a 66 and sold it to a dealer for $500. I kick myself everytime i think about it. I needed the money and a reliable car.

traumamama

Forum Crew Member
We also have a Toyota Yaris that gets an amazing 48 miles per gallon. Everyone teases my husband about it being a "toy" car and he just smiles and tells them he can hunt in it, fish in it, camp in it, and carry all of his tools in it and it costs alot less than their big trucks that can't pass a gas station.
Our ambulance, by the way, gets 8 mpg.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I drive a subie and have for some time. I had a lapse last year and bought a ford focus and did not even keep it for a year. The 65 mustang is sweet. I had one when i was younger-a 66 and sold it to a dealer for $500. I kick myself everytime i think about it. I needed the money and a reliable car.

Thank you. :) Unfortunately it's not working right now, the heads are in the machine shop because I snapped a rocker arm :/