What kind of personal AED do you have?

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
Does your medical direction require you to write a PCR.
That's a good question, and I will check on that in the morning. As far as I know, they just want me to give them as much info as possible and send in the AED for them to download the info. I know that when they download the info, they can send it to the patient's physician/hospital to help with care.

Last edited by a moderator:

CFal

Forum Captain
I heard about a program that had people trained in CPR have an app on their phone and get alerted to nearby arrests, I wonder how that would play into it, it's pretty much the same as listening to a scanner in that respect

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
:lol:

Doncha hate it when a joke fails because you misspelled the punchline? ;)

Extended editing benefits for premium members ;-)

cprted

Forum Captain
Second, there is a Green/red service button. Green=good red= needs service.
Well, as long as there is a red/green light on the unit, that proves the $100 AED is legit! :blink:

I'm curious, how old are you and what level of training do you actually have? You mentioned being trained in "First Aid" ... have you taken an EMT course?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
In addition to contacting a lawyer, you might want to check out these links to CA Statutes:

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/Media/Default/PDF/regs1_8.pdf
-specifically : § 100035. Internal Emergency Response Plan., § 100036. Medical Director., § 100040. Medical Director Requirements., §100041. AED Service Provider Operational Requirements.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=01001-02000&file=1797.160-1797.197
-specifically Section 1797.196 of the CA Health and Safety Code

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref200/201.pdf
-DHS County of LA, Medical Management of Prehospital Care

I think the issue that most of us see with your plan to help those in need is the self-dispatching part. Its one thing to buy an AED to stash in the office of your place of business. Its one thing to use a public AED when someone goes down in the mall. I think its a bit different when you are listening to the scanner, showing up to someones home who called 911 for help (not you), and using an AED you bought off Ebay, with no plan for continuation of care or transport. I am not a lawyer but I sure would be interested to here what one says.

Also, impersonating EMS personnel is more than having a badge. If you roll up and say you heard the call go out on your scanner and you are here to help with your AED, most peeps would get idea that you were EMS.

ftp://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/code/pen/00001-01000/528-539
CA Penal Code- specifically Section 538e.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I teach AED as well as CPR and have used an AED on the job. I do not own one. There are many pitfalls to owning one and using one. That is why they are not over the counter…yet.

remainder of rant redacted.

PS: A sheriff dept sells medical property over EBay for pennies? Really? Most counties have strict disposal venues for surplus materials to prevent them being stolen then sold off on EBay.

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
I teach AED as well as CPR and have used an AED on the job. I do not own one. There are many pitfalls to owning one and using one. That is why they are not over the counter…yet.

remainder of rant redacted.

PS: A sheriff dept sells medical property over EBay for pennies? Really? Most counties have strict disposal venues for surplus materials to prevent them being stolen then sold off on EBay.
Actually, there is only 1 AED that is over the counter: Phillips Heart Start AED.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't believe this thread is real, gotta be a troll

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I believe this is 100% real.

And while the whacka killa in me says 'Ohhh hells no!" the practical side of me says, "if there's a guy next door with CPR skills and an AED and he wants to use them... why not?"

If I'm in VF, I think I want him banging on my door.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
If I'm in VF, I think I want him banging on my door.

If its my neighbor, someone I KNOW and TRUST I probably would too. If its some random guy with a scanner? Please get off my property while I call 911 back and have them send PD.

I guess its a sad commentary on our society bit that's how I feel.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If its my neighbor, someone I KNOW and TRUST I probably would too. If its some random guy with a scanner? Please get off my property while I call 911 back and have them send PD.

I guess its a sad commentary on our society bit that's how I feel.
yeah I am pretty sure if there is still a breathe in my arresting body, and my state used the "stand your ground law" I would utilize it.

NomadicMedic

Uhh... okay.

I think if you were in cardiac arrest and were saved by the neighbor with an AED, your stance would change.

Oh, right. We shoot people that come near our stuff. 'Merica.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This might be the best thread ever.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Uhh... okay.

I think if you were in cardiac arrest and were saved by the neighbor with an AED, your stance would change.

Oh, right. We shoot people that come near our stuff. 'Merica.

Keyword: neighbor.

Seriously, a guy who listens to a scanner, drives to the scene, and has an AED from Ebay sounds to me like a guy with questionable judgment. I don't really want someone like that near me, especially when I am vulnerable.

NomadicMedic

So, if he lives next door and hears it on the scanner, it's okay... But if he lives at the end of the block, that's just too far? He's not setting up a POV squad, it sounds like it's gonna be immediate neighbors, if he happens to hear it.
And if I hear a full arrest nearby on the scanner...

I get the whole self dispatching thing, but we KNOW the only things that really work are early CPR and rapid defib. If this guy wants to pump a neighbor and spark him if he needs it, and he's prepared to face the legal consequences, it sounds like a no brainer. I'd bet he'd be lauded as a citizen hero if he ever actually did use his AED. I don't know about you... But I'd be happy to see some citizen CPR that didn't suck...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Side one: if the AED will not allow you to shock except when it will make things better, then anyone could have one and use them at will.

Side two: Slippery slope leading inexorably to getting beyond one's knowledge and certification.

If the machines were perfect we wouldn't need techs or doctors.

PS: Unless they changed the laws here in Calif, responding to a scanner or scanner app carried in your car is illegal.