What is your team doing for Ebola?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wait, but then who is going to be clipboard man?
ebola-clipboard3.jpg
I heard that was a CDC guy...

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hospital CEO & CMO announced a few days ago that our hospital will bypass the CDC recommendations and go to full body suits. Training to staff rolled out this weekend. Thought that was an interesting shift.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Hospital CEO & CMO announced a few days ago that our hospital will bypass the CDC recommendations and go to full body suits. Training to staff rolled out this weekend. Thought that was an interesting shift.

Yeah. Our protocols say to have full body suits and then certain levels of escalation if the risk of contamination is high from visibly soiled items, vomiting, etc. No offense, but I am going to go ahead and wear that PAPR hood without any extra justification other than its ebola.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah. Our protocols say to have full body suits and then certain levels of escalation if the risk of contamination is high from visibly soiled items, vomiting, etc. No offense, but I am going to go ahead and wear that PAPR hood without any extra justification other than its ebola.

No escalation here, and I agree with that fact. If there is a multi-tiered escalation process then that is more room to screw up on all levels of personnel, and from training to practice. Our protocols are balls to the walls.

I do have a somewhat related question. Ebola is not airborne, correct. But we all know certain infected bodily fluids can aerosolize. Can those aerosols permeate through any filters in a negative pressure room? Through a PAPR respirator?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We have a specific dispatch language that triggers staging and fire doesn't respond. Supe brings us specific gear including a PAPR system for each crewmember and the ambulance is draped. Then we go about business as usual until the hospital. We sit in the bay until the hospital team comes and gets us. Then we doff our gear, don new gear and clean the unit. It's out of service until the DOH inspects it.
Mostly this.

For a patient that meets EVD criteria, our HazMat (with a spare ambulance) and MSOU units will be dispatched to the run. The MSOU members will don level Bs and transport the patient in the spare unit to a predesignated hospital. Upon arrival, we'll wait for the ED to meet us in the bay with their gurney and equipment.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The clipboard guy without the suit was suppose to supervise the other guys to make sure they do not cross contaminate. He didn't wear a suit and I think kept a reasonable distance so he could better visualize what was going on.

OP
OP
G

Gotham Medic

Forum Crew Member
No escalation here, and I agree with that fact. If there is a multi-tiered escalation process then that is more room to screw up on all levels of personnel, and from training to practice. Our protocols are balls to the walls.

I do have a somewhat related question. Ebola is not airborne, correct. But we all know certain infected bodily fluids can aerosolize. Can those aerosols permeate through any filters in a negative pressure room? Through a PAPR respirator?
a P-100 filter is adequate. WMD filters will work as well but are way overkill for what you can pay for a P-100 which has full bio protection.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
How are you doffing ?

Who/how are you deconing vehicle and equipment used/exposed?

Doffing is standard decon procedures with HazMat. Chlorine dioxide spray downs.

Equipment and ambulance are decontaminated with vaporized hydrogen peroxide.

We're probably going overboard down here, but our Chief is huge on safety and risk management, and we have the equipment, training, and personnel to make it work. At the very least, it's provided us on MSOU with some excellent training and dialogue with HazMat.
How much care is being rendered?

BVM? CPR? intubation?
BLS is to be provided.

OP
OP
G

Gotham Medic

Forum Crew Member

We're probably going overboard down here, but our Chief is huge on safety and risk management, and we have the equipment, training, and personnel to make it work. At the very least, it's provided us on MSOU with some excellent training and dialogue with HazMat.

BLS is to be provided.

Is the crew cleaning their own vehicle and gear?

OP
OP
G

Gotham Medic

Forum Crew Member

BLS is to be provided.
What is MSOU?

OP
OP
G

Gotham Medic

Forum Crew Member
What type/material/manufacturer of suit are you using?

What respiratory protection?

OP
OP
G

Gotham Medic

Forum Crew Member
CDC now recommends full skin coverage. Little N95 disposable paper masks dont meet this recommendation. ... or is full tyvek coverall with hood and facemask/eye shield combo what we are seeing?

OP
OP
G

Gotham Medic

Forum Crew Member
Do we all have PAPR /full face WMD APR capabilities? I'm curious to see what the Max levels of protection we have in the EMS field (all you HAZ MAT Techs stay out of this... HAZ MAT PPE capabilities are a whole other ball of wax)??

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
OP
OP
G

Gotham Medic

Forum Crew Member
We are decon'ing our gear, but we have someone that will be meeting us at the hospital with the VHP to decon the unit.
HazMat will follow us to the hospital and assist us with decon and doffing.

Medical Special Operations Unit

What is the VHP?