What is your preferred ventilation method?

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I like ETCO2 and keeping it within 35-45 mmHg. I'm not familiar at all with a resQpod, so I can't speak for its efficiency or ease of use.

Medics here tell the new guys about ETCO2 and how to keep it going. But the ResQpod is nice on BLS trucks while waiting for medics or if the medic for whatever reason hasn't setup or isn't setting up ETCO2.

tlkennedy5

Forum Probie
FROPVD (Flow Regulated Oxygen Powered Ventilation Device) for you students

basically...I push the button...you breath... :)

HOWEVER...

if I don't have that on me....I prefer a well placed, verified, and secured endotracheal tube...lol

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
high volumes, but not high enough to cause distention or other problems

Ok, so what are high volumes? How many ml/kg? Why do you need high volumes anyway? What sorts of pressure? Aside from gastric insufflation what other problems are you avoiding and how?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

HOWEVER...

if I don't have that on me....I prefer a well placed, verified, and secured endotracheal tube...lol
Sounds like the old Demand Valve with a 40cm H2O pop-off device.
For BVM use: I prefer the CE method - one holding the mask and the other squeezing the bag. Otherwise, I also like the well placed, verified, secured ETT...

VentMedic

Forum Chief

These should only be in the hands of well trained personnel. The Elder Demand Valve brought many complications to patients in the 80s but not because of it not being a good device but because too many just thought you stuck it on the patient, pushed a button and that was all there was to it.

Even at a 40 cmH2O pop-off, you can still do some serious damage with improper use and rate.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
These should only be in the hands of well trained personnel. The Elder Demand Valve brought many complications to patients in the 80s but not because of it not being a good device but because too many just thought you stuck it on the patient, pushed a button and that was all there was to it.

Even at a 40 cmH2O pop-off, you can still do some serious damage with improper use and rate.

Amen, Vent. Amen. If you don't know how you can "jack the pt up", then you probably shouldn't bother with this or any device like it.

If the pt needs to be ventilated and you don't have the option of using a vent, the standard BVM with the "CE" hold (or "OK" hold as I was taught) will do just fine. It does take skill and hand strength/coordination to do it properly. You also get the "feel" of how well the pt can be or gets ventilated which is crucial.

tlkennedy5

Forum Probie
I was kidding btw...I don't even know anyone that still uses a demand valve...though I'm sure someone does...I said it mainly for kicks

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I was kidding btw...I don't even know anyone that still uses a demand valve...though I'm sure someone does...I said it mainly for kicks
Well, it does have one use... just hook it up to an E cylinder and go diving... just be careful that you don't exceed 1.3 ATM while breathing 100% O2...:p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

They are also taught in diver-oriented first aid and rescue diver courses despite the risks that Vent previously mentioned that result when one puts such a device into incompetent hands.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Of course, 3 person CPR is great, but it's not too common. I personally choose to use the EC method for the mask and squeezing the bag between my arm and body in case my other hand is needed.