What is your preferred ventilation method?

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
I am just curious as to which ventilation method you prefer to use on your patients, BVM wise. My intstructor gave us 3 ways of ventilating the patient if we must do it by ourselves. We can use one hand to hold the seal on the mask and the patient's face and squeeze the bag with the other. Another way was to use one hand to squeeze the bag while holding the mask-face seal using a headlock-looking maneuver. The 3rd option was to use both hands to hold the seal and put the bag between your body and your arm, squeezing the bag in up against your body with your arm and thus creating exceptional tidal volumes. I just want to know what you guys prefer. I personally like the body-squeeze method best. It leaves both hands free to make a good enough seal and still allow you to get enough of a compression on the bag. I've only done it on the training dummy in class, but I'm wondering if there's any difference in how well the methods work on a real patient. Any advice?^_^

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Well, speaking from my experience in class thus far, I prefer having one hand holding the mask with the CE method. While also using my hand holding the bag to squeeze and help apply pressure to the seal.

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Well, speaking from my experience in class thus far, I prefer having one hand holding the mask with the CE method. While also using my hand holding the bag to squeeze and help apply pressure to the seal.
What exactly is the CE method? We didn't cover that in class.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
What exactly is the CE method? We didn't cover that in class.
You create a C with your thumb and your pointer finger that seals the mask, and you create an E with the rest of you fingers on the jaw to maintain the head-tilt-chin lift.

Edit - Here you go, I found an Image.

0908focuson1.jpg

Edit Again - oops, I mixed it up a little, turns out it is called the EC method not the CE... sorry about that

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
You create a C with your thumb and your pointer finger that seals the mask, and you create an E with the rest of you fingers on the jaw to maintain the head-tilt-chin lift.

Edit - Here you go, I found an Image.

0908focuson1.jpg

Edit Again - oops, I mixed it up a little, turns out it is called the EC method not the CE... sorry about that
Thanks for posting the pic- made it a lot easier to understand. Thanks for gettin me lined out. :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
I prefer the patient to breathe on their own, and if that's not possible I prefer an ETT and BVM with a resqpod.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for posting the pic- made it a lot easier to understand. Thanks for gettin me lined out. :)

No problem glad to help.

on topic: and obviously, my favorite two man cpr(really 3 man, but meh) would be to have someone just seal/hold the mask with both hands using the EC position and have one person squeezing the bag. With the third person doing compressions periodically switching.

I prefer the patient to breathe on their own, and if that's not possible I prefer an ETT and BVM with a resqpod.

Haha, I think we all prefer the patient to breath on their own.. but it doesn't always happen : (

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
since I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar, can I ask what a "resqpod" is?

http://www.advancedcirculatory.com/resqpod/product_overview.htm

"The ResQPOD prevents unnecessary air from entering the chest during CPR. As the chest wall recoils, the vacuum (negative pressure) in the thorax is greater. This enhanced vacuum pulls more blood back to the heart, doubling blood flow during CPR. Studies have shown that this mechanism increases cardiac output, blood pressure and survival rates. Patient ventilation and exhalation are not restricted in any way."

Edit: and a visual demo. http://www.advancedcirculatory.com/ResQMan/ResQPod512.wmv

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I use one hand as to try to avoid hyperventilation. Squeezing with both hands, especially with big hands, can lead to too much air being put in.

Sasha

Forum Chief
http://www.advancedcirculatory.com/resqpod/product_overview.htm

"The ResQPOD prevents unnecessary air from entering the chest during CPR. As the chest wall recoils, the vacuum (negative pressure) in the thorax is greater. This enhanced vacuum pulls more blood back to the heart, doubling blood flow during CPR. Studies have shown that this mechanism increases cardiac output, blood pressure and survival rates. Patient ventilation and exhalation are not restricted in any way."

It also has this little timer light that flashes when it's time to ventilate to prevent over ventilation or under ventilation. That's why I like it.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
It also has this little timer light that flashes when it's time to ventilate to prevent over ventilation or under ventilation.

Yep, I like that feature. It helps new firefighters or EMT's to know when to squeeze the bag. Better than letting them go crazy with it. When the local service got the pods they invited the reps of Resqpod to do an impromptu demo with it during one of their inservice days. They had a seasoned medic with a good reputation come up and vent. They did this for about 2 mins and let her do her thing. She stayed on target. Then they did another 2 mins but started asking her questions like "Whats the dosage for X", "Name the major bones and organs in the body," etc. Before long she was squeezing along at a high rate. They did the same thing with a new EMT. Then they both came up and stood side by side and were given the pod. Then asked different questions in the same format. This time they were able to stay on target while watching the light blink and having the questions asked.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
If I'm ventilating a patient I use the c-clamp technique. If extra personnel are available, I prefer to have one person maintain the mask seal while I control the ventilatory rate and tidal volume delivered.

It is also recommended that while ventilating a patient with a BVM, that someone maintain cricoid pressure throughout the entire ventilation process until the airway is secured to prevent gastric distention. One, if helps a lot to prevent vomiting and aspiration, and two, it helps to prevent the gastric distention from impeding on the intrathoracic volume which impedes ventilation.... in other words keeps from pushing the diaphragm upward towards the chest which decreases tidal volume.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Important thing to remember about the resqpod is.. If the Pt has a pulse.. don't use it! It's only meant to be used during CPR.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
The 3rd option was to use both hands to hold the seal and put the bag between your body and your arm, squeezing the bag in up against your body with your arm and thus creating exceptional tidal volumes.

Exceptional tidal volumes are not desirable unless you are ventilating the Cyclops. Stop when the chest rises.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
It also has this little timer light that flashes when it's time to ventilate to prevent over ventilation or under ventilation. That's why I like it.

I like ETCO2 and keeping it within 35-45 mmHg. I'm not familiar at all with a resQpod, so I can't speak for its efficiency or ease of use.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

Same. I prefer to squeeze the bag one-handed, and hold the mask with a CE with the other hand.