What is the most efficient way to EMT-P for a college grad?

ajr

Forum Ride Along
I have recently graduated from college with a BS in health science (2010). Not knowing what to do in life I heard about a local EMT-B course and registered for it. I finished the class, passed my tests, and recently applied and was hired by a local ambulance service as an EMT-B. I was offered the job at the same salary as anyone out of high school who just got their certification, which I understand as I can only be paid for the functions that I am needed for, but I am wanting a quick way to test for the EMT-P exam as I am ready for the next challenge in life.

My question is, what is the fastest way that I can get to the point of taking the test? I realize that I am certainly lacking skills to be a paramedic (I think they are called "practicum classes" in a paramedic program), but in terms of classes I am pretty far down the road already, having taken many nursing classes as electives for my degree. Pertinent classes I have taken include biology, a&p 1&2, pharmacology, pathophysiology, medical terminology, chem1&2, and histology as well as some classes that covered EKG interpretations.

I would like to figure out a way that I can attain this 1) while I am working full time and 2) quickly. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation or have a suggestion, or is my only option to go to a 12 - 24 month paramedic program?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Gotta pay to play. Go through the school, your background in sciences will make it much easier anyways.

There's no shortcuts to a medic certificate. Some states let RNs challenge the exam, that's about it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The same as everyone else.

Welcome back to trade school. You must do the time.

Most paramedic students work full time and go to paramedic class. It is all about time management.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most paramedic students work full time and go to paramedic class. It is all about time management.

Between work and school I've been pulling 60-84 hours per week for the last 8 months, not including study time. It sucks but I still have managed to keep a social life, stay sane and nab a 4.0 in school as well. I have had days where I was crabby and on the ragged edge but who hasn't? As a college grad you should be great at time management.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider
For someone like you with a health degree the 12 week TEEX Paramedic course might be ok.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
For someone like you with a health degree the 12 week TEEX Paramedic course might be ok.

In this particular case, this is good advice.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant

I just looked into this as I thought holy crap there is no way it can be done that fast!

http://www.teex.org/teex.cfm?pageid=training&area=TEEX&templateid=14&Division=ESTI&Course=EMS135

The course is actually 15 weeks in length, but that is just the classroom portion. So this program is really no different than any other 8 or 9 month program. I think the fastest course I have read about was the Guardian course out of Boise, which gets you ready to test in about 6 months.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I just looked into this as I thought holy crap there is no way it can be done that fast!

http://www.teex.org/teex.cfm?pageid=training&area=TEEX&templateid=14&Division=ESTI&Course=EMS135

The course is actually 15 weeks in length, but that is just the classroom portion. So this program is really no different than any other 8 or 9 month program. I think the fastest course I have read about was the Guardian course out of Boise, which gets you ready to test in about 6 months.

Guess they raised their standards, used to even have a 10 week class. And even adding clinicals, ride outs some of which could be done during the 10 weeks only added about a month after class completion. The short time was what had them be the place Houston Fire sent their people.

sdover

Forum Probie
yep, as others have said, no way getting round doing the required course.... regardless of what your background is.

Just think, it may be easier for you than others from a non science background.

Good luck getting through it....

Riley

Forum Ride Along
You'll need the 12-24 month program.

I know if you had an RN or a medical degree, you could go through the RN-medic program (yes, they have a podiatrist going through it). In my area, they don't let nurses try to "challenge" the test, but supposedly some states do.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I have basically the same backround as the OP. All those classes and more. I'm also an EMT-Intermediate. If I wanted to become a medic I'd have to apply and start from scratch. No shortcuts.