What if you are relieved by an "incompetent"?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not necessarily a nincompoop, but someone with the (alleged) right letters after their name but no sense.
SCENARIO: You stop at an MVA, there's no fire nor gas down; switch off the cars, post road guards (people or warning devices), and are getting to the victims when the FD rolls up, and the vehicle's chief states officially he is assuming command of the scene and you are relieved. You are wearing jeans, a workshirt, dirty boots and an old sweatshirt on your way back from Home Depot. He does not even deign to look at your paramedic ID, or you left it at home. They are starting to pull a victim out of a car without spinal precautions. Now what, keemosabe?;)

Belleplain%20Plane%20cra019-1.JPG

(from Cape May County herald website)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
At that point you're not a paramedic you're a bystander and unless you are paged to that scene then it is their scene to command and do as they may. If something like that happened I would hope you're on the phone with everyone along the chain of command up to their medical director to inform them of the lack of spinal precautions.

There was a thread not long ago about stopping if you saw an accident off duty and many people said they wouldn't stop and render care because it's not our scene and we're not paramedics at that point we're simply bystanders. It's also the same if you were called to a scene and there was an RN or even a doc on scene already, guess what it's your scene and taking any advice they give is your choice but you best be following your protocols.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
In a lot of areas: If you aren't on-duty (Being paid for your time and service) then you have no more responsibility then a first responder (And in some areas, no more responsibility as a regular bystander) so you really have not authority whatsoever.

Guess it depends on respect for the individual. If they held alot of respect for the individual, they would allow a bit more........if they had no respect, or didn't know the person from the next person then they would CTA (Cover Their 'Posterior')

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the argument can be made that you weren't a paramedic to begin with. consider:

you have no equipment(above maybe a bls jump kit)
you have no medical control

are you really a medic? meaning can you practice as one or in this case is it just a title?

back to your original question. while you wouldn't catch me at the scene of an mva off duty to begin with, i'll put that aside. once the appropriate resources have arrived, i would deliver my report and wash my hands of the scene(literally and figuratively).

you bring up another really good reason why not to stop. let me change the specifics a bit. you show up three minutes ahead of the ambulance/engine/cruiser. you hop out and grab your kit, run up and start delivering care. now you don't do much, a bandage here or there. mainly supportive care and some assessment. fd shows up and takes over. pd takes your information "for the file". fd botches the call and blames it on you. the patient isnt able to provide an accurate description of who did what so it you v. them.

now, in this deep pocket world we live in, the pt is going to go after mcdonalds for selling her the coffee, the car maker for not warning her that accidents can cause injury, the guy who paved the road, you, the fd medics, the cops, everybody. good samaritan protection doesn't prevent you from being sued. it, when applicable, prevents you from being successfully sued. your lawyer doesn't care whether or not you win, he still gets paid.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Your not on duty. Why would you retain control? The FD shows up, its their scene. It is not your scene. Your just helping out.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
While I agree with you completely about stopping, being a FR, and Good Sam liability, I wonder what happened to patient care being a priority. I understand how litigious this society has become... trust me.

I apologise for changing the direction of this trajectory, but it is about to become another circular argument about stopping for MVAs.

What about if the crew replacing you is incompetent? It is a medic new to the company who hasn't been through orientation or being precepted. You are strapped for crews, and the new guy (who has been a medic for a while, but with unproven skills and knowledge) is placed with a newly minted medic (fresh out of preceptorship). What if the medic new to the company has a reputation for being a poor patient care provider? Making mistakes?
Would you allow them to "relieve" your duty? What are your thresholds for incompetence?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Of the times I've stopped (only when I saw the accident) I've only had my name taken down once, and that time, I performed no direct care. There was one transport, protocols in that area dictated that the age of the individual (advanced) plus MOI = transport, unless the pt refuses of course.

As to the original question, I've been excused from the scene, I will not be confronting the providers directly. My, I take it I've been able to determine, while turning off the cars, that there's no one that would need an emergent move? Fire and/or gas are not the only reasons for an emergent move.

Hastings

Noobie
This is why you don't stop in the first place.

Anyway, the fire guy is in charge, you have no right to remain on scene, if the patient ends up paralyzed, it's their problem. (Although because you stopped and attempted to render care, they could argue that your care was what caused the injury.)

What about if the crew replacing you is incompetent? It is a medic new to the company who hasn't been through orientation or being precepted. You are strapped for crews, and the new guy (who has been a medic for a while, but with unproven skills and knowledge) is placed with a newly minted medic (fresh out of preceptorship). What if the medic new to the company has a reputation for being a poor patient care provider? Making mistakes?
Would you allow them to "relieve" your duty? What are your thresholds for incompetence?

That's a company issue. No respectful company will ever do that, no matter how strapped for crews they are. If that happens, again, it's the company's problem. Not mine.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would whisper in the Chiefs ear that I will follow up on the victims. If there was any spinal damage, that resulted in paralysis, I will personally contact the family and be glad to testify against him. Have a good day!

R/r 911

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Since you have decided to stop and are seeing something you feel is wrong, how about, "Do you want me to hold c-spine while you get a collar and backboard?"

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a difficult situation because as an ordinary bystander trying to speak to a responding official agency about their care, you are not going to get immediate respect and validity. And it shouldn't matter if its a fire department, or private or civic ambulance service, they are there doing a job, you are just a looky loo and will most likely be treated as one.

I would have to weigh the pros and cons. What is the probability of serious harm to the pt? What is the probability of the responding agency actually listening to what I have to say? Presentation is everything in a situation like this. How you say it will have a huge impact on whether or not its heard.

piranah

Forum Captain
ok...well one thing you have to look at is ABANDONMENT.....say your a paramedic and you relieve a pt to the EMT-I....that is abandonment....you releived a pt to care of someone below you.....plain and simple...if it was a medic....houdy hoo im outta there.....its like having a physician on scene if they are willing to take control of the pt...i will be glad to accept their help/guidence......

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
ok...well one thing you have to look at is ABANDONMENT.....say your a paramedic and you relieve a pt to the EMT-I....that is abandonment....you releived a pt to care of someone below you.....plain and simple...if it was a medic....houdy hoo im outta there.....its like having a physician on scene if they are willing to take control of the pt...i will be glad to accept their help/guidence......

Does level-of-care still apply to off-duty Medics? Since you are off duty, you are not rendering care under any medical direction so you shouldn't have initiated care on the Paramedic level.

In Missouri a paramedic can *assess* a patient and turn patient over to a Basic as long as the paramedic determines that ALS care is not needed AND has not initiated care on the paramedic level (IV, Medications, etc...)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Sorry but ......NO, NO, NO, NO, !

Sorry, you are attempting to assume that person is on duty and hence is working under protocols when in reality, when one is off duty you are no more than a first responder. Who's authority are you going to work under? If what you described is true then if you don't perform it.. your negligent and if you do; you are practicing medicine without a license.

Only licensed personnel such as MD, DO, and in some states NP have independent license to practice medicine.

R/r 911

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Its not abandonment to refer care and transport to someone of lower certification, it happens all the time. ALS units refer patients for transport to BLS crews after an ALS assessment determines it is appropriate to do so, and document accordingly.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Its not abandonment to refer care and transport to someone of lower certification, it happens all the time. ALS units refer patients for transport to BLS crews after an ALS assessment determines it is appropriate to do so, and document accordingly.

Unless something happens, then it will be considered abandonment. Technically, it is abandonment. That is why some services refuses to allow anyone transport of lesser level.

R/r 911

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Well I'm sure a good lawyer might try to make the case, however in this state, there are criteria that allows refering patients for transport by lower level providers, as long as the reason is documented along with an ALS assessment.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Well I'm sure a good lawyer might try to make the case, however in this state, there are criteria that allows refering patients for transport by lower level providers, as long as the reason is documented along with an ALS assessment.

As an ALS provider, you are responsible for the patient until they are in the care of a higher care even if you triage it down to BLS transport. If a patient turns for the worst, an ALS assessment triaging it down to a BLS transport would most certainly come under scrutiny.

A medic works under the license of a medical control MD. If you triage down a patient who craps out, he is going to reconsider whether he wants you working under his license.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I assure you I am well aware of the protocols I work under. If my medical director has an issue with a patient I refer to BLS he knows were to find me.

piranah

Forum Captain
I was pertaining to if the pt needed your level of care...and u terfed it to a basic...but yes I understand your position about medical direction...