What doors does being an EMT-B open you?

Diabeetus

Forum Ride Along
I'm 21 and was looking to get my feet wet in the EMS world. I've dwelled on this for a long time, befor I even knew how to drive. At first, I just wanted to be an EMT-B and basically be a transport monkey but I was wondering if I get my EMT-B certification does that open any other doors, besides working for an ambulance company? For example, could I possibly get a job inside of a hospital with my EMT-B certification? Even as a nurse assistant or something? Or does an EMT-B certification exclusive to only driving the ambulance?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Paramedic school.

That's realisitically about it.

Back in the days when we were still dodging dinosours, an EMT was a golden ticket.

Today you get better wages working full time at starbucks or McDonalds

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Paramedic school.

That's realisitically about it.

Back in the days when we were still dodging dinosours, an EMT was a golden ticket.

Today you get better wages working full time at starbucks or McDonalds

I hear the benefits at starbucks aren't bad either.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
It helped with my Firefighter contact job I took a while ago....but the fire certs and the EMT B helped getting it, so it was more of a combination.

No joke, the manager at McDonalds was making way more when I was full time EMT-B...and he didn't have to lift anything more than 50 LBS.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Some ERs like to hire EMT-Basics as ER Techs but besides that it is pretty much worthless in the hospital setting. It "may" help you get a job as a nurse assistant compared to someone with zero experience but you will still have to take the same orientation and training as everyone else. Really no benefit or advantage once hired.

It is however some great experience. I can honestly say I have learned more during my short time on the ambulance than I did during my first few nursing clinicals.