what do you carry with you at work

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Depends...
Hospital: pens and pen light and shears when I get to work. By the time I leave there's usually tape, 4x4s,, pen light, shears, no pens, 2x2s, gloves, and lancets.

Ambulance: Pens, pen light, shears pair of gloves, Ultrascope, HTC Hero.

Both cases my backpack has my Kindle and netbook along with the pocket reference guides.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
trauma shears, lots of pens, penlight, swiss army knife, radio, cell phone (good for radio failure or when you'd rather call the hospital than radio), wallet w/ certs, pocket guide and flashcards (for when I get stuck in the ambulance at my partner's house for an hour plus).

why would you be getting stuck at your partners house for an hour while your on duty??

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I carry a tune.

I carrie underwood.

I carry 500lbs bariatric patients.

I carry the Food network and the Yes Channel for NYY games.

EMSBLONDIE24

Forum Probie
On my person I carry, trauma sheers, 2 pens (yes, exact number :p ) extra set of gloves, pen light, stethoscope around neck, small pack of portable tissues, radio/pager and cell phone. Everything gets used and the ambulance is responsible for carrying the rest :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nemedic

Forum Captain
My Littman, 2 pairs of gloves, at least 3 pens (one will be borrowed and not returned, one will not work, an one hopefully will), penlight, and Leatherman.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
On belt?? Radio and Leatherman tool.. but these things are there all the time. shears in cargo pocket. pens scattered around and note pad.

TripsTer

Forum Crew Member
I carry a tune.

I carrie underwood.

I carry 500lbs bariatric patients.

I carry the Food network and the Yes Channel for NYY games.

lmao...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I carry a countdown calendar

Monday it will say "22".

Yeeeehaw!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Pen, keys, wallet, note pad in my pocket. Radio on belt. Every thing else is in the rig. When I first joined the service 2 yrs ago I had everything under the sun on my duty belt. Now I wear a regular leather belt.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have been in this industry for 10 years, the last 5 as a career EMS provider in an urban environment. and

At my street 911 job, we are only permitted to wear 4 pocket ****es, so it limits what can be kept in my pockets.

I keep as much on my belt, so it isn't in my pockets, and it can remove it all in one shot. trauma sheers, multitool, flashlight, leather gloves, radio holster, spare latex gloves, and a pen. scope is around my neck with a watch around the neck of my scope. Skell gloves are in my back pocket, and my wallet is usually in the front. this is my usual attire for any urban city shift.

if I work in the suburbs, I dress a little bit differently (and can wear EMT BDU pants). Boston Leather style radio holster or swivel holster on my leather belt, and a set of leather gloves in my pocket. scope stays around my neck or in my other side pocket (along with a flashlight if it's a night shift). I usually keep my belt in the truck, but only wear it if we get dispatched to a trauma or rescue assignment.

And for the record, while the rig does have equipment, there was more than one time when I needed something (flashlight, spare gloves, trauma sheers) and was unable to find them in a quick amount of time. so now i have my own set, and keep it with me at all time.

But to each his or her own.

joliver18

Forum Ride Along
I just carry a couple of pens, a little notebook so i can take notes when we do preplans for fire and if i have to write down vitals or something and then a little protocol book to look through when im bored.

medic417

The Truth Provider

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
2009_0928SathreDamage0002.JPG

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Mike, 1911 in .45?

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
yup, it's a Para Ordinance 7.45 LDA, been with me for the best part of 10 years

Nice. My EDC CCW is a Colt Delta Elite 1911 in 10mm. I'm a fan of the 1911 style pistols :D

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Sweet Screaming Jeebus, it's "shears", not "sheers". Curtains are sheer, stockings are sheer, those big scissors are shears.

And you're is the contraction of you are. "Your welcome" indicates that the person you are speaking to has ownership of a welcome, which makes no sense at all.

Try it: "You're welcome."
"You're looking lovely tonight."
"Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"
"Oh, it is a gun in your pocket; does that mean you're going to shoot me?"
"Ouch."

No wonder we aren't taken seriously as an industry, we haven't even got a rudimentary grasp on basic English yet!

I carry my keys, my wallet and the chip on my shoulder.