What do you carry 24/7 while on or off the job?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I carry some very important stuff on me 24/7.

- 1 million dollars
- get out of jail free card(very hard to come by)
- a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car.
- a test capsule of Charlie Sheen's Tiger blood.
- Jimmy Hoffa's left testicle.
- Hognus Wagner baseball card
- The exact location of Waldo and Carmen Sandiego

Oh man you win!

Just want to mention I also put a couple of pairs of gloves in the glove box of some of my friends and families cars too just in case I'm riding with them when we come across something.

Can anyone suggest a place to buy those little key chain glove holders I can't seem to find a reputable site that offers them.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I don't carry a gun on my 24/7 (concealed or not). However, I think if I was one of you gun nuts who insist on carrying all the time in order to use in a life or death situation only, I would absolutely carry on the job. absolutely 100%, no question about it.

The simple logic is I don't routinely go into ghettos, slums, :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty projects or any questionable area during my routine travels. I don't step foot in areas where fights just occurred, drunks are picking fights, "you'll help my grandma or I'm gonna hurt you", emotionally stressful medical calls, and if I see a crowd of people gathering, I tend to not see what they are all looking at. I'm not going to get involved, because it's none of my business. Not only that, but I don't go looking for trouble, and if I think something may be trouble some, I'm gonna avoid it.

Now, I am on the ambulance, and I'm going into all those situations I just listed. I might have PD, I might not. I might be the unlucky guy who is driving down the street and witness some gang member execute someone on the sidewalk. or I might be grabbing food in uniform, and have someone run up to me telling me that someone needs helps, and I need to help them. I can't really say "not my problem" because the truth is, it is my problem, it is my job. And I am more likely to get into a trouble situation on the job than off.

but again, I'm not a paranoid gun nut, but if I was, a simple job regulation definitely would not stop me from carrying.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ok... And with that. Drop the firearms talk in this thread please. Fine to list if you carry it... but threads that mention carrying on duty always end badly. Please get back on topic

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
On call:
gloves
Phone
Wallet
Pen
Watch
Regular life:
phone
Wallet
Portable dialysis machine
CPR mask/gloves in my backpack
Watch

After all, I can pull an ambulance out of thin air (give or take 10 minutes) with my phone.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
On call:
After all, I can pull an ambulance out of thin air (give or take 10 minutes) with my phone.

You must not live in Houston the response time is a bit higher :) Excellent point though.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Off the job I don't cary anything related to EMS, keys wallet etc

On the job, just your normal crap, penlight, some tape and scissors, some pairs of gloves