What do you carry 24/7 while on or off the job?

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Keys (With backup flashlight and CPR mask on the keychain).
Phone.
Wallet.
Watch.
Chapstick, much of the time.
Flashlight.
Knife.
Another knife.
Exam gloves.
Sometimes a pen.
Sometimes a pistol.

At work I also carry work-specific keys, multiple pens and pairs of gloves, and no pistol (Every time I've been in a situation where I'd have strongly considered drawing because of credible threat to my life has been at work where we're not supposed to be armed... go figure.).

This is just what I EDC whenever I'm dressed. I have situation and season-appropriate other stuff on me (Gloves and warm hat shoved in a jacket pocket in the winter, etc.) or in a handy backpack as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Carrying a gun usually has nothing to do with being a wannabe.

Perhaps. I am not against guns, own a few myself however don't carry on my person. It has been my experience, at least around here that the guys packing are the same ones driving Crown Vics w/tinted windows and sporting police stickers on said vehicle. These same kids are the ones wanting to run to all the shooting and stabbing calls and tell war stories, yet when I point out the fact that there are plenty of opportunities to carry guns and get in the sh$t for Uncle Sam they seem to look at me funny. I certainly agree with their Right to carry, I just question the motivation of most.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Police Officers are generally a little too heavy and cumbersome to carry on one's person. I've heard they're coming out with a new ultralight model shortly, but I'm still concerned about the size and cost issues.

As far as my EDC, Big Skinny wallet, Benchmade Griptillian, HDS EDC 170, keys with a 4Sevens Preon, Hideaway knife, Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M61, usually a pen of some sort, and a can of Cope wintergreen. Once I'm 21 and out of the People's republic of Kalifornia my G19 will be going with me everywhere as well (except work)

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
Ok this is from down south:
can of dip
watch
wallet(im a medic usually not much cash)
black ink pens
at least 2 knives
a Taurus 24/7 millenum pro .40 cal(concealled carry gun) plus multitude of other hand guns just chose revolver or automatic then chose caliber.
AR-15 or remington .300 mag
SWAT gear
oh forgot lotsa food
bp meds,metformin change of uniforms

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Dang I travel light compared to some of y'all.

Off duty IPhone, small knife, keys. Once I do the CHL class a G36

On duty iPhone, field guide, local region quick reference guide, knife, ID badges and a nice pen.

That's all I've ever needed.

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
Wallet
Kershaw folding knife
Surefire E2D Defender flashlight
Pen
Pocket Constitution
FD Pager
Keys
iPhone

...and occasionally the random pencil or dog poop bags.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
off duty,
wallet, keys and my 2 phones.

i cant stand my pockets being over full, it feels weird when walking

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Perhaps. I am not against guns, own a few myself however don't carry on my person. It has been my experience, at least around here that the guys packing are the same ones driving Crown Vics w/tinted windows and sporting police stickers on said vehicle. These same kids are the ones wanting to run to all the shooting and stabbing calls and tell war stories, yet when I point out the fact that there are plenty of opportunities to carry guns and get in the sh$t for Uncle Sam they seem to look at me funny. I certainly agree with their Right to carry, I just question the motivation of most.

Once again, it is the actions of a few that reflect badly against most. Personally, unless you know me and know that I carry everywhere except work and where it is illegal to do so, you would never know that I had a firearm on my person. I don't pull it out and do a show and tell, I don't flaunt the fact that it is on me. And for the most part, that is the same opinion and views that are held by the other people I know who carry. The ONLY reason for my firearm to clear its holster outside of the range or my property is for it to be used in the preservation of a life, be it my own or another's. I pray the opportunity never arises in which I have to draw my weapon, for if it does, that will mean reasoning has failed.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'll venture a serious answer here.

Off duty:
Wallet
Keys
iPhone

On duty:
I've gone from the typical bat belt, to minimalist (pen and wallet) to carrying more stuff

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'll venture a serious answer here.

Off duty:
Wallet
Keys
iPhone

On duty:
I've gone from the typical bat belt, to minimalist (pen and wallet) to carrying more stuff
Pretty much the same as me minus my firearm and knife......Basically, you carry what you need to get the job done.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
The real risk of carrying a pistol on duty.

Hey Joe?
Yeah Bob?
I think maybe you've been on duty for a little too long?
Yeah Bob why do you say that?
Because your trying to use your 38 as a laryngoscope to intubate that guy.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Joe?
Yeah Bob?
I think maybe you've been on duty for a little too long?
Yeah Bob why do you say that?
Because your trying to use your 38 as a laryngoscope to intubate that guy.

This actually brought a smile to my face. Good thing I only carry off duty lol....I have definately been this tired before (well, almost this tired....)

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Actually as a very new EMT, I was curious what folks in the "biz" carried :)

And no I don't have a life thank you for pointing that out I'm going to go have a good cry now :(

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Actually as a very new EMT, I was curious what folks in the "biz" carried :)

And no I don't have a life thank you for pointing that out I'm going to go have a good cry now :(
Don't worry about him brother...We all understand..Happy is just out of his meds...all will be better soon lol