What do hospitals do for you?

camstar1

Forum Ride Along
I have worked in different areas of the country and have been suprised at how different hospitals interact with EMS. Anything from hospitals that have obvious contempt for EMS to those that go out of their way to welcome EMS. Anything from providing coffee, food, classes, etc.

So the question is what have hospitals done for you as an EMS provider that you especially appreciatted?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
A few hospitals around here have EMS break rooms with couches, a fridge, microwave and snacks at minimum. Some have computers and / or a TV.

Though most just have a fridge near the ambulance bay with treats like ice cream and chips.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Most of the hospitals I work with seem more than happy to welcome you into their ER and take a patient off your hands. Then once you transfer care they don't want to see your face and are anxious to get rid of you. When you add it all up, they act like they don't trust the level and type of care that we give, and they seem more than happy to take the patient off our hands before we kill them.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
A few hospitals around here have EMS break rooms with couches, a fridge, microwave and snacks at minimum. Some have computers and / or a TV.

Though most just have a fridge near the ambulance bay with treats like ice cream and chips.

A couple of our local hospitals have recently added very nice EMS "break rooms"to their facilities.

piranah

Forum Captain
most have break rooms here in RI or "report rooms"...one has a soda fountain...i think it was donated

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
theres a few hospitals in the area with break rooms stocked with ham/cheese sandwiches, chips, etc... one has a cappuccino/expresso machine (i don't know the difference, but its nice)... the rest dont have anything. some have somewhat hostile or apathetic staff, always great walking into ambulance triage, and the triage nurse walks off for 15 minutes and is then pissed at you for interrupting her smoke break that she didnt tell anyone about... the hostile ERs are a minority...

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

Wow you guys hiring?

Im lucky if I can find a broken wheel chair to finish my paperwork in.

imurphy

Forum Captain
One of the hospitals that serve my area has a really nice break room with 2 computers, TV 2 couches, fridge with soda and water, fresh coffee maker (you know the one cup krueger kind) and donuts in the mornings. It's a preferred facility!

The one I go to most is helpful and I have a good repose with the nurses / doctors there.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Provide quarters for us to sleep in when not out on a call... Our supervisor provided the Wii B)

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
we have access to the employee bathroom. thats just about it. very nice attitudes however, not the least bit hostile

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
most have break rooms here in RI or "report rooms"...one has a soda fountain...i think it was donated

Brought a patient to a new place today, as a trauma alert, no less.

2 words. Slushie Machine. Bad for the diet - but so awesome.

Fridge also has what appear to be yesterday's sandwiches from the cafeteria - most awesome.

And juice. And chips. And lots of coffee for the folks that require it to function.

Another facility has a Flavia coffee/expresso machine, and their EMS room is hit-or-miss for food.

Otherwise - Food is an occasional special treat. One of the hospitals that occasionally has it ALWAYS has a thank-you note that is started by the volunteer who stocks the room... All visiting EMS agencies then add their thanks to the note... to her, and that ED's awesome staff.

I never expect it... but if there is food or beverages available that I'm interested in, I'll take one. Does it change what hosptial I'm gonna take a patient to? No.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
One place has a closet with a desk off the stockroom for writing our reports. It usually has a case of bottled water and some crackers or something. It's nice, but doesn't really work with more than one crew present. The staff there are generally completely indifferent to us, though the doctors mostly are good about giving us a really quick performance assessment if anything stands out.

The other, at most, lets us balance our reports on the corner of the nurses' station while we write them. On a crowded night, we have to find all sorts of interesting places to do that. But everyone there is incredibly friendly and helpful.

Jon said:
Otherwise - Food is an occasional special treat. One of the hospitals that occasionally has it ALWAYS has a thank-you note that is started by the volunteer who stocks the room... All visiting EMS agencies then add their thanks to the note... to her, and that ED's awesome staff.

That sounds awesome! Wish we'd do something like that. We don't really relate at all with the staff in the first hospital. I think that leads to a lot of totally unnecessary assumptions and misunderstandings, because we only ever talk to each other when something's wrong.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Slushi machines......:angry:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've rarely had food/beverage supplied by the ED/hospital, but on occasion, it has happened. Usually, we just got a place to sit and do our reports, and maybe coffee. I've had some specialty clinics provide some of their flavored coffees, but that's been pretty rare. Mostly though, I've been treated pretty darned well by the various ED staffs that I've been to. Then again, "we" got to know each other and they got to know me as a very good and competent medic.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
EMS must have REALLY changed!

Hard to believe this Dinosaur is the first one to credit hospitals for their greatest contribution...

UNLIMITED NURSES!

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
The hospitals out here in Vegas are pretty good. All of them have a report room that is stocked with food and drinks. Some have computers, all have televisions. Most of the hospitals also have a food allowance at the cafeteria. All in all I have to say the hook up is pretty good. My fav part is the use of the clean employee bathroom.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
We only have one hospital here in town. Our service's office is in the hospital. We get to use the staff bathroom. Free coffee. Our service also helps out in emerg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hal9000

Forum Captain
3 hospitals.

#1: EMS lounge with mini-fridge, desktop computer (And a nice one, at that.) with internet, private bathroom, and comfy seats. This one has the most "permanent benefits."

#2: Free employee restroom use, very nice staff (the RNs always know me by name and give me all sorts of nice stuff, like homemade peaches n' cream pie), free coffee, tea, popcorn, $120 worth of coupons for discounts on anything from doctor visits to food, 10 free full dinners per year, and some other nice things. The RNs that run the ED are always amazing and usually take time out of their day to say hello, at least if they believe you're respectable and competent. I like this one the best, as I've received help, offers for recommendations, and even presents. The staff is just ridiculously nice all around, and I've only once had a nurse be nasty, but she later came up to me and said, "Sorry for being a @#$%@, it's that time of month. Feel free to slap me when I act up." Later the same month, she bought my partner and I dinner. Like I said, it is somewhat like the twilight zone.

#3: Absolutely squat. The staff is ok at times.

Scout

Para-Noid
Interesting, I'm surprised nurses only got mentioned 16 posts in.

Is this a humanitarian or commercial idea with the break rooms?